Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Online Forum

Old 11-19-2017, 11:25 AM

How to account for R&D Expenses?

Howdy, folks. Been a while since my last post.

I'm using QBO now, and need to track expenses related to R&D, such as materials, supplies, labor, equipment and other such costs.

I saw this post here: CLICKY

However it doesn't seem to be working for me in the way that is shown, where there is a top level entry for R&D Expense, and subcategories for equipment, materials, travel, and so on. I have tried to enter a category per the link above, but when I attempt to create the sub-categories, I'm not able to do so (see my screen shot).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Firefox_Screenshot_2017-11-19T16-23-37.246Z.png (24.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:59 AM

The screen shot you show is creating the top level expense account, parent. I see nothing wrong with it, save it

Create a new expense account, same category and detail type, name it, then check mark the sub account of and select the parent account.

In QB when have parent child account structures, you never post to the parent, it is a summing account.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
The screen shot you show is creating the top level expense account, parent. I see nothing wrong with it, save it

Create a new expense account, same category and detail type, name it, then check mark the sub account of and select the parent account.

In QB when have parent child account structures, you never post to the parent, it is a summing account.
Ah. Looks like with QBO, it takes a while for the newly created items to show up. Got it. Thanks!