Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Online Forum

Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 AM

Mapping P&L Accounts to A/R Accounts

When preparing customer invoices, we use a product/service that ties to an income account. In addition, we have four (4) A/R Receivables accounts. How do I map a certain income account to a specific A/R Receivables account? Currently QB randomly puts the transaction into one of the A/R Receivables accounts and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to what QB does.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 AM

I personally don't think you can map the transaction as you wish. With my Enterprise QB version, it would require altering the A/R account field during prep of each invoice. Although QB would not allow multiple A/R accts on a single invoice.

Inquiring minds on this forum may want to know your rationale behind this treatment, which only places it in specific G/L accts. Do your customers get different terms, based on product, service, location, etc? It seems you could obtain the same info/data by including things like item#'s on your aging. And maybe extract to Excel to parse the data.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Mapping A/R Accounts

Froid, thanks for responding so quickly. Let me give a little background. We are a small company with multiple clients, some purchase goods and some purchase services. We quantify income four different ways based on the product or service that we enter into an invoice. In other words, if we enter product A (P/L account), that product should fall into the A/R income bucket A/R Income- Reimbursement, or service B (P/L account) should fall into the A/R bucket A/R Income-Consulting (hopefully that makes sense).

If it is as simple as altering the A/R account field for each invoice, that would be great, but not sure how I do that. I do not see a field in the new invoice screen when preparing an invoice. Am I missing something?

Once again, thanks for the quick response and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 PM

QB Enterprise vs Online

It appears the online version differs from mine, which shows that A/R acct field during invoice prep. Then again, our customer master includes fields to identify Class, Type, Site, and such. Put your e-mail on here and I will send you a screenshot of what ours looks like.

Sometimes you can search youtube for various solutions, as well. Pretty amazing stuff available on there.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM

Thanks again Froid. Here is my email address. Thanks for suggesting YouTube, I use it all the time for all kinds of things!

dlaurienzo@lexarlabs.com
Old 08-31-2017, 05:58 AM

Desktop allows you to create additional a/r accounts and when you do the invoice has a selection box on the invoice to choose which one the invoice hits (receive payments has that same selection box)

QBO allows you to create additional a/r accounts, but does NOT allow you to use them with invoices.