Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Services and Jobs > QuickBooks Services Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM
jcrampton jcrampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Ideal set up for Multi-User Remote Access

Being the "computer guy" of the family, I have been asked to aid my family business in expanding their current QuickBooks setup. They have just purchased QB Pro with 3 licenses.

What they are trying to do is set up the system so that it can be used simultaneously between the Accounting office and a second computer to be used by my wife. The second computer will alternate between a PC connected to the physical office network and a home computer that will need remote access.

My question comes down to what is the ideal setup for this type of access and what services are required. My thinking is that the company file could be placed on a network storage drive so that it can be accessed even when the host computer is shut down. Will this work or does the host need to be running at all times? Currently the host computer is shut down daily and the company file is stored on a 500GB external drive.

I see that QB has a remote access service. Is this similar to a service like Go To My PC? If this service can be used, would only two licenses be required - one on host computer and one on the secondary office computer (the one that would also be accessed via remote access)? Since there are three licences, we would be able to install on the third (home) PC as well if needed but from reading the description of the remote access system, it does not appear the third licence would be required for this user since remote access would be accessed via VPN.

Also, would both the home user and the host be able to access the QB system simultaneously and what are their limitations.

I apologize for my ignorance. I know a great deal about computers, software and networking in general but have never tried a QB setup- let alone one this involved.

Any assistance or suggestions anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
d-cline d-cline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Well I'll tell you what I would suggest is looking at moving this setup to the cloud.
It will save you time, money and headaches for starters. And it may be the only way to truly accomplish what you are looking for.

With QuickBooks hosting + the 3 user license you already have, all will be able to access the files simultaneously and update/see updates in real-time. QB will be accessible from anywhere, anytime, using nothing more than an internet connection. It really will change your life, believe me.

There are several hosting providers that I have heard are great but I only have experience with one of them. If you'd like some recommendations let me know and I'd be happy to provide that and explain why I think some are better than others.. what to look for in a hosting provider.. etc.

This blog is where I draw my wealth of information on cloud hosting from, and it particularly focuses on QB which is great. This new one is great for just software hosting in general.

Anyway, good luck no matter what you choose!

Last edited by d-cline; 02-01-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 AM
dudetteski101 dudetteski101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-cline View Post
Well I'll tell you what I would suggest is looking at moving this setup to the cloud.
It will save you time, money and headaches for starters. And it may be the only way to truly accomplish what you are looking for.

With QuickBooks hosting + the 3 user license you already have, all will be able to access the files simultaneously and update/see updates in real-time. QB will be accessible from anywhere, anytime, using nothing more than an internet connection. It really will change your life, believe me.

There are several hosting providers that I have heard are great but I only have experience with one of them. If you'd like some recommendations let me know and I'd be happy to provide that and explain why I think some are better than others.. what to look for in a hosting provider.. etc.

This blog is where I draw my wealth of information on cloud hosting from, and it particularly focuses on QB which is great. This new one is great for just software hosting in general.

Anyway, good luck no matter what you choose!
I know thread is old. But, could you tell me if there are issues with setting up program files on an external drive rather than an actual server? We have multi-licenses and cannot have more than one person in the program at one time without freezing. So, I'm thinking all the program files should be on a live/active computer we can use as a main server. Whats your thought on this?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2014, 05:29 PM
usu-law usu-law is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Reply

I was interesting to go through the post very unique thing i found which is something very rare this such forums will helps others as well
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Ben12 Ben12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 11
An Ideal multi user access set up for QB or any application for that matter would be hosting it in the cloud. If you need a service provider I would recommend Vyon Cloud (http://www.vyoncloud.com/). They have a competitive price, good customer support, and a 15 day free trial.

Last edited by Ben12; 05-16-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Easyfilesharing Easyfilesharing is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 23
Here is a great article that talks about an extraordinary solution for QuickBooks access! I would highly recommend checking it out: http://www.2nd-site.com/news/qbox-is...remote-access/

Hopefully this resource is helpful and meets your needs!
__________________
Easyfilesharing
https://qbox.coraltreetech.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Phoenix CPA Phoenix CPA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudetteski101 View Post
I know thread is old. But, could you tell me if there are issues with setting up program files on an external drive rather than an actual server? We have multi-licenses and cannot have more than one person in the program at one time without freezing. So, I'm thinking all the program files should be on a live/active computer we can use as a main server. Whats your thought on this?
QuickBooks Desktop Hosting is the perfect solution for you. Multiple users (with licenses) will be able to access QuickBooks at the same time. visit my hosting provider www.vyoncloud.com You and other users can work in the same file at the same time from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection.

Last edited by Phoenix CPA; 07-27-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Gilbert91 Gilbert91 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix CPA View Post
QuickBooks Desktop Hosting is the perfect solution for you. Multiple users (with licenses) will be able to access QuickBooks at the same time. visit my hosting provider www.vyoncloud.com

Here is a refernce site where you can look up various internet links for accounting software solutions. Go through the links for Quickbooks, MYOB and Xero and decide based on your organizational preferences.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2016, 04:08 PM
SMBQuickBooks SMBQuickBooks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 19
Multi-user access MAC and PC

We needed multi-user access for QB and other tax applications. Happy with our cloud provider. Tried the 15 days free trial and felt very good about service. We can work from home or the office. We recommend vyoncloud.com.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Bookmark and Share
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All contents copyright (c) by AccountingUsers Inc.
You Rated this Thread: