Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks FAQ

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Post Four ways to speed up QuickBooks

Quickbooks running slow? Here are four ways you can speed it up today!

1. Turn off QuickBooks features that bog you down. Don't keep a bunch of windows open.

2. Turn off things in Windows that bog you down. If your computer has been in use for awhile, chances are good that it is running software that takes up system resources without contributing anything. Get your IT person to check it out for you. (If you are pretty tech savvy yourself, you already know about editing the Startup list with MSCONFIG.) Turn off startup items that you don't need. That will give QuickBooks -- and all your other programs -- more elbow room, and it can it run faster.

3. Upgrade your hardware. Every time a new release of QuickBooks hits the streets, the system requirements go up. The software simply assumes that your hardware will be of the same generation as the software. If you have old workstations or an old server, hardware may be your performance bottleneck.

4. Bring your file size down. Especially if you are running multi-user, a large QuickBooks company file can really slow things down.

Options? Super-condensing your file will reduce its size by up to 60-80%. We’ll evaluate it for you free. You can also do the condense and cleanup commands in QuickBooks. Sometimes they yield significant results in file size reduction, sometimes not.

Other ideas to speed up QuickBooks? Let's hear from you.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Unhappy No patch for Australian version?

I have searched the Australian QuickBooks sight and cannot see any patch that relates to the Australian version - I am running QB 09/10 Accountant's edition and am on Windows 7 so have been waiting for an upgrade.
I have to run a registry cleaner every day and then I can get QB to even open properly.
Merri
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Yes, the R5 patch is for the US 2010 version. Our QuickBooks Australia subforum is pretty active. I suggest you post your question there and see if other users/consultants have a current word on that.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 AM

Lately, my Quickbooks become so slow that it gets me really frustrated! Thank you so much for the tips.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Thank you for the tips. I am going to try these out and see how it runs!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM

I can attest to the power of more ram/faster processor. I was using QuickBooks enterprise on a quadcore (1.6mhz) laptop with 3gb of ram. It would take three or four minutes just to open up. Very slow creating reports ect...

I upgraded to a I7 2.3ghz laptop with 16gb of ram and it opens immediately. I don't wait for anything.

I also upgraded my desktop which I use for QuickBooks/QQube reporting and crystal reports. I installed an I7 3.5ghz cpu with 32gb of ram. No waiting there either.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 AM

Is there a patch in 2012 Quickbooks PRO

I am new with this version. Is there a patch as this system is really slow on my lap top.

Marian
Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 AM

I am using 5N3 Cloud, an accounting software and it works great.

Last edited by StuartCrawford; 08-18-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-13-2015, 01:48 AM

I will definitely going to apply this cos am facing this problem since last few months..
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 PM

SMB QuickBooks Desktop

Just a suggestion but small businesses who want to speed up QuickBooks might want to migrate to the Cloud. We did and it has not only helped with speed and glitches, but we don't need to buy new hardware or worry about backing up our work as the Cloud takes care of it. Our provider is www.VyonCloud.com if you want to learn more. The other suggestions here have helped as well.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:16 AM

Four ways to speed up QuickBooks

Hello all,

Well apart from adding newer, faster hardware (think solid state drives) or having your file supercondensed, here are some ways to possibly get a speed increase.

1. Turn off the built-in search indexing in QuickBooks. This is a company preference that enables you to do the quick, global search with F3. But that instant search capability comes at a price: slower performance for other functions, particularly saving new transactions. This is particularly true with very large files, or with version 2013 files.

So try this: Click on Edit / Preferences / Search / Company preferences. Uncheck the search box, or the search update automatically box, depending on your version of QuickBooks. Rebuild your file. Close out of QuickBooks, then open it up again. Are formerly sluggish processes faster? They might be.

2. Delete unneeded memorized reports. Some users save a bunch of memorized reports over the years that become irrelevant later on. Get rid of the memorized reports you don’t need anymore.

To delete unneeded memorized reports, click Reports / Memorized Reports / Memorized Reports List. Right click on any unneeded report and select Delete Memorized Report.

3. Delete the TLG file. The TLG file – transaction log file – is an auxiliary file that QuickBooks automatically creates and maintains alongside your main file. The TLG file doesn’t have to be there for QuickBooks to work correctly; it can be deleted without data loss. (It sometimes is useful in data recovery situations, however.)

If the TLG file gets very large — say, over 1GB — then it might start to slow down QuickBooks, especially when you are adding new transactions.

4. Turn off the QuickBooks automatic updates. In QuickBooks enter File, Update QuickBooks, Options, Turn off Automatic Update. Why should QuickBooks check for updates each time your computer starts, it only updates about 10 times a year? This can really speed up QuickBooks, especially if you are low on memory or do not have open high-speed web access for your small home business.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBQuickBooks View Post
Just a suggestion but small businesses who want to speed up QuickBooks might want to migrate to the Cloud. We did and it has not only helped with speed and glitches, but we don't need to buy new hardware or worry about backing up our work as the Cloud takes care of it. Our provider is www.VyonCloud.com if you want to learn more. The other suggestions here have helped as well.
That's true. Nice Suggestion.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:01 AM

4 ways to speed up QuickBooks accounting software

If you find slightly sluggish performance of your QuickBooks accounting software, it's always possible to rectify this problem. Below given are four crucial ways to speed up your QuickBooks software -
• Ensure that main memory is at least 128 MB; if not, increase it to make it 256 MB for workstations and in excess of 512 MB for servers
• Ensure QuickBooks automatic updates are turned off
• Ensure all your QuickBooks files are devoid of any errors; if not, deploy suitable file repair procedures as applicable
• Optimize computers by optimization of hard drives, increasing CPU speed and keeping more than 10 percent free space in hard drives. Besides that, safely delete all old files using a suitable disk cleanup program and deploy Ad-ware, Zone Alarm, and Norton System for maximum security.

For free hosted QuickBooks on cloud you can visit at www.techarex.net
Old 05-19-2016, 10:13 AM

Smile 4 ways to speed up QuickBooks accounting software

If you find slightly sluggish performance of your QuickBooks accounting software, it's always possible to rectify this problem. Below given are four crucial ways to speed up your QuickBooks software -
• Ensure that main memory is at least 128 MB; if not, increase it to make it 256 MB for workstations and in excess of 512 MB for servers
• Ensure QuickBooks automatic updates are turned off
• Ensure all your QuickBooks files are devoid of any errors; if not, deploy suitable file repair procedures as applicable
• Optimize computers by optimization of hard drives, increasing CPU speed and keeping more than 10 percent free space in hard drives. Besides that, safely delete all old files using a suitable disk cleanup program and deploy Ad-ware, Zone Alarm, and Norton System for maximum security.

For More Details Visit at http://www.techarex.net/quickbooks-hosting/