Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks FAQ

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 PM

Posting a Bill for Import Duty and VAT (UK)

You can enter a bill for import VAT and duty with two lines under the Expenses tab:

The first line has the your Import Duty account - an asset, COGS or expense account, it does not have to be exclusively used for import duty. Just enter the amount of duty under Nett, with the VAT code blank - duty is outside the scope of VAT, so you want it left out of your VAT reporting altogether.
STOP PRESS: in the latest versions of QB use VAT code "O" (outside the scope).

The second line has no account, VAT code S, no (or zero) amount and the amount of import VAT. This will just be posted to the VAT control account.
STOP PRESS: in the latest versions of QB this line needs to have an account, and you can no longer enter the VAT amount for each line. Create an account Import VAT next door to the Import Duty account. Give this line a new VAT code, let's say "I" Import VAT, VAT item for sales is Standard Sales, VAT item for purchases is Standard Purchases. The amount on this line is zero. Amend the bill VAT total to the amount of Import VAT. This enables QB to assign a VAT return box for the import VAT, otherwise you will get an extra line at the end of the VAT 100 report for 'VAT on purchases with no VAT box'.

Your vendor - HMCE - now has a Bill for the total for you to pay in the usual way.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK

Last edited by RobJoy; 11-12-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: changes in QB
Old 11-26-2011, 01:45 AM

Hi, 2 of my imported products are taxed by Custom. Do I follow your way, just record a lump sum of the tax amount, or do I need to assign the tax amount to the 2 products as cost?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:18 AM

I need to update this faq for current versions of QB - will do so when I have a minute.

In answer to your specific question, duty is certainly a direct cost of purchase, so it should form part of the cost. But it really depends on your circumstances how you deal with it.

If you import only to order for items you will sell immediately you could simply post the duty to a COGS account so it is recognised as a cost of sale at the time of purchase. This has the advantage of simplicity, but it means that the profit on the invoices is overstated - it doesn't take account of the duty. The gross profit on your P&L will be right, provided the purchase and sale take place within the same period.

If you are importing for stock - you will have at least some of the imported goods for a while - then you should adjust the unit cost to take account of the duty.

E.g. you buy 100 widgets @$5 each and are charged 7.50 total duty. Supposing an exchange rate of $1.55/ you need to post a zero-value bill: expense line to the duty account, minus 7.50
item line 1, quantity minus 100, value -322.58
item line 2, quantity plus 100, value +330.08
This will have the effect of taking the duty value out of its original account and moving it to Stock Asset, by increasing the unit cost, without changing the quantity.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM

thank you so much! Now I understand how to do it. It's similar to the freight charge that I have to distribute evenly to each product as COGS.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJoy View Post
I need to update this faq for current versions of QB - will do so when I have a minute.

In answer to your specific question, duty is certainly a direct cost of purchase, so it should form part of the cost. But it really depends on your circumstances how you deal with it.

If you import only to order for items you will sell immediately you could simply post the duty to a COGS account so it is recognised as a cost of sale at the time of purchase. This has the advantage of simplicity, but it means that the profit on the invoices is overstated - it doesn't take account of the duty. The gross profit on your P&L will be right, provided the purchase and sale take place within the same period.

If you are importing for stock - you will have at least some of the imported goods for a while - then you should adjust the unit cost to take account of the duty.

E.g. you buy 100 widgets @$5 each and are charged 7.50 total duty. Supposing an exchange rate of $1.55/ you need to post a zero-value bill: expense line to the duty account, minus 7.50
item line 1, quantity minus 100, value -322.58
item line 2, quantity plus 100, value +330.08
This will have the effect of taking the duty value out of its original account and moving it to Stock Asset, by increasing the unit cost, without changing the quantity.
Our country has just implemented VAT.
Since my company is not eligible so I am not charging any VAT to customers. However, I am taxed for importing.

This is the example I was charged:
Import VAT for products $115
Customs handling charge $50
VAT for Customs handling charge $3

I have moved the Import VAT and Customs handling charge to cost of goods. How about the VAT for Customs handling charge? Should I assign to cost of goods too?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Banned

now has a Bill for the total for you to pay in the usual way.
คาสิโน