Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM

QuickBooks 2017

I currently use QBPro2014. I just purchased QB Desktop pro 2017 and a new laptop. Could you tell me what is the best way to transfer my current QB2014 to new laptop with QB2017?

I run a small business and need this to be an easy transition.

thanks for the assistance.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:40 AM

1. in 2014, In Desktop, back up the file then use the main menu File>Utilities>Rebuild and run it as many times as necessary (but at least 3 times) until it completes, then run verify (if there are still errors run rebuild again)

2. use the file menu and make a back up with verify on, copy the back up to a usb stick

3. install 2017, I suggest you use the custom install option and a couple of screens later insure the install path says 2017 - that way if you want to install a newer year in the future and not overwrite the 2017 it is easier

4. copy the back up file from the usb stick to the new computer hard drive - I suggest you make a folder named for the business, then a sub folder called back up and copy to that folder

5. open QB 2017, it should search and find the back up and offer to open it, if not use the file menu open or restore and restore the back up file
Old 12-12-2016, 07:01 AM

Thank you for your help. I will try this.

One more thing, this should be done on my old laptop first, then back it all up and install the back up on my new laptop? Or do I install QB2017 on my new laptop first?
Old 12-13-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda3163 View Post
Thank you for your help. I will try this.

One more thing, this should be done on my old laptop first, then back it all up and install the back up on my new laptop? Or do I install QB2017 on my new laptop first?
Your choice, the events happen on two different machines, so it is up to you
Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 AM

another question: Closing 2 bank accounts

I am closinig 2 bank accounts and sending 2 separate bankchecks to the new company that will be handling the HOA. How do i enter the checks and what would it be entered as in the account?

thanks !
Linda3163
Old 12-31-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
I am closinig 2 bank accounts and sending 2 separate bankchecks to the new company that will be handling the HOA. How do i enter the checks and what would it be entered as in the account?

thanks !
Linda3163
Accounting mirrors real life, write the checks, what account it is for I have no idea you didn't say what was going on, but choose the account that is the reason you are paying them
Old 03-02-2017, 06:09 AM

thank you!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 AM

I need to ask another question;Customer invoiced. Payment received and deposited. invoice shows up in an incorrect account as a payment, but deposits in the correct account. Why?
Now i have an invoice showing in the wrong account, and it creates a payment. But when i deposit the check it is deposited in the correct account. This just started happening and i cant fix it.eed to ask another question.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
I need to ask another question;Customer invoiced. Payment received and deposited. invoice shows up in an incorrect account as a payment,
WHat account, what makes you think it is wrong

An invoice posts to the income account(s) that are on the items used, check them if income accounts are what you are asking about