Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Enterprise Edition Forum

Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 AM

When I go under Lists then Class List I get a list of all accounts by the name of each doctor. I want to print this list off with the current balance each doctor has in their account.

How do I do this?

I've done it before but I can't figure out how to do it again!

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:22 PM

Click on the "Reports" button at the bottom of the screen, and I believe one of the report options there will provide you with what you want.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:04 PM

If I do that I can get a detailed P & L, with the various income and expense accounts down the left side and all the various doctors' accounts across the top. But I don't want that, I just want a list of the accounts with their current balance.

I can do an individual quick report for each one and create my own spreadsheet in excel, but that is a lot of work for hundreds of accounts.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:51 AM

A class is not an account, it is just a report filter, the transactions are in accounts.

The closes I can come to what I think you want is a P&L by class, click customize, click filter, click class, and select multiple classes, then check mark them all

The above gets rid of the unclassified column which I find distracting, but then I do not require a class to be selected on each transaction

Did you check your memorized reports to see if you kept the one you say you did once? If so please list how you set it up, the filters, etc
Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 AM

No, unfortunately I didn't memorize it.

I don't want transactions, just one number for each doctor. Basically, I have $10,000,000 in my bank account #1113 and I want to have the doctors' names running down the left hand side and the current balance each has next to it. For this purpose I don't care about income/expenses.

I will definitely memorize the report this time if I figure out how to replicate it...
Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 PM

Let's start with the basis question: Are you treating your doctors as Customers or as Vendors? Knowing that may help tell you where to look for the report you are after.

If Customers, for example, click on Reports on the top menu bar; select Customers and Receivables, and then select Customer Balance Summary.

You will find the same type of report under Vendors and Payables by selecting Vendor Balance Summary.

If you are treating the doctors as something other than Customers or as Vendors, how are you treating them when you enter data for them?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:42 PM

They are apparently neither vendors or customers-when I run either report you mentioned nothing shows up.

I haven't been here too long, and I am the only one using QB in the organization, except for once a month when my boss does a bank rec. No one even knows who the administrator is, or what the admin password is...

I do a lot of GJEs (more than anyone else I know who uses QBs). For example, every 2 weeks I enter salary expense. "Account" is 4300 (salary expense in our chart of accounts), "Name" is employee's name, and "Class" is the name of one of the doctor's from whose account the salary funds are coming out of. I use this class when writing checks using that doctor's funds.

So I can do a quick report for each class, but I can't run off a report with all the classes and their balance.

Thanks for everyone's help-I feel like we are using QB in a somewhat odd way...
Old 02-07-2017, 03:05 PM

Your method of running QuickBooks is not so much odd as it is incomplete. QuickBooks has many tools to use, and you appear to not be using some of the more useful ones.

If you treat your doctors as a Customer or as a Vendor (whichever more accurately describes your company's relationship to them), you will find some very helpful tools.

There are tools for tracking vendors and tools for tracking customers. Pick up a QuickBooks manual (I prefer The Missing Manual series by O'Reilly Press) and read the sections on customers and on vendors. Or as a stop-gap, open QuickBooks and look at the options on the top (or possibly side) menu bar and, in turn, click on Customers, Vendors, and Reports. Under Reports, check out what is available under Customers and Receivables and under Vendors and Payables.

You said "I do a lot of GJEs (more than anyone else I know who uses QBs)." That is the source of your problems.

A few try to use the General Journal feature as the main tool for entering data into the General Ledger in QuickBooks, but that method will not give you anything other than General Ledger reports. QuickBooks, like most accounting systems, employs multiple ledgers, but reporting is drastically limited if you try to enter into most ledgers through the general journal route -- all ledgers feed to the General Ledger, but in most cases what is entered directly into the General Ledger does not feed to most of the other ledgers.

Trying to run QuickBooks using only (or mainly) the General Journal entries will not work. What you are doing is similar to trying to drive your Ferrari with eleven of the sparkplug wires disconnected.

Last edited by Lorin Browning; 03-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Thanks, I will look into getting that book.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM

I have figured out a way to run the report I wanted, showing the current balance in each account.

I go to Reports, Balance Sheet by Class. For time frame I pick "all". I also go to "Advanced" and manually pick the classes I want balances for (only 256 at a time so I can export to excel).

The spreadsheet in excel is interesting, simply because of how the QB was established here long ago. The accounts by doctor go across in columns, and Total Assets is all the debits to that particular class over its history (always negative) and "Unbalanced Classes" is all the credits.
The "Total Equity" is the current balance in that doctor's account.