DocuSend QuickBooks App Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks FAQ

Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 AM

Credit Memo Without Applying to Bill

Hello,

Is there a way to apply a recorded credit memo from vendor (without applying it to an open invoice)?

The vendor issued me a credit memo, and then transferred / refunded the money directly back to my Visa account, but since the bill was already paid / over-paid, I have no way of applying it to a bill.

Does this require a journal entry or is there a simpler way to record this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jason_k; 12-14-2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Left out a part.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:47 AM

Since they refunded the money directly to your bank account, just use the Make Deposit for that amount and set Account to the expense account of the purchase.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:44 AM

Thanks Joe, but they refunded the money directly back to my Credit Card and Quickbooks won't allow deposits to Credit Card account :S
Old 12-16-2014, 02:40 AM

Then use the Credit Card Charge for that CC account and click the credit option and fill it out like the original credit card purchase.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:53 AM

Thanks Joe. Such a simple solution, I'm banging my head how easy this was, but at least I learned a new skill
Old 02-03-2017, 10:37 PM

Red face Need further info on entering CC credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
Then use the Credit Card Charge for that CC account and click the credit option and fill it out like the original credit card purchase.
I see this is an older post, but I had the same question. Original poster asked how to record a refund to a credit card. I'm not sure I understand your reply though. When I open the CC account, I don't see anywhere to enter a credit. The account looks just like the checkbook register, without anywhere to enter anything except directly onto the next line of the register. I know I must be dense, but can you tell me exactly where to enter the credit? Sorry...and thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Chang View Post
I see this is an older post, but I had the same question. Original poster asked how to record a refund to a credit card. I'm not sure I understand your reply though. When I open the CC account, I don't see anywhere to enter a credit. The account looks just like the checkbook register, without anywhere to enter anything except directly onto the next line of the register. I know I must be dense, but can you tell me exactly where to enter the credit? Sorry...and thanks!
In desktop, use enter credit card charges, top left set the radio button to credit

In QBO menu plus>vendors>credit card credit
Old 02-04-2017, 10:32 AM

Wow, I never even knew that was there. I always enter CC charges and payments in the vendor center. My version of QB doesn't have the button. I have to get there through the "banking" module. Thanks so much for this info!!!