DocuSend QuickBooks App Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Enterprise Edition Forum

Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM

Clean Up Old A/R

We have a customer with some very old A/R that needs to be written off as bad debt. Simple enough to do, except that, this customer has over 200 bill to locations which means they are set up as over 200 individual customers! (small amounts for each, but combined it's several thousand dollars)

I recently learned that we can use "sub customers" for a corporation with multiple billing locations, and even existing customers can be moved in the hierarchy to become sub customers. I was hoping that by using sub customers we could create a credit memo for the parent company and then apply the credit memo to all the sub customers' invoices; however QB just gives the option to apply the credit to the parent company. Any solution to avoid making hundreds of individual entries???
Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 AM

Sounds like the customers are historic and not current.

If that is the case you could merge them - be aware that there is NO un-merge - then do a bad debt CM

Back up the file first just in case

Other wise it is one CM per customer
Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW012 View Post
We have a customer with some very old A/R that needs to be written off as bad debt. Simple enough to do, except that, this customer has over 200 bill to locations which means they are set up as over 200 individual customers! (small amounts for each, but combined it's several thousand dollars)

I recently learned that we can use "sub customers" for a corporation with multiple billing locations, and even existing customers can be moved in the hierarchy to become sub customers. I was hoping that by using sub customers we could create a credit memo for the parent company and then apply the credit memo to all the sub customers' invoices; however QB just gives the option to apply the credit to the parent company. Any solution to avoid making hundreds of individual entries???
make a parent account, move these individuals accounts to under that parent account by simply dragging them.

make a credit memo under parent account with the amount = total balance needed to be written off.

then go to "Receive Payment" screen, select the parent account in the "Receive From" field, you will see all the bad invoices under sub account. You know what to do next.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Thank you Rustler & Uniz.

Uniz, you described exactly what I was attempting to do. However, getting thru those 1st 3 steps is as far as I can go. The unpaid invoices of the sub accounts are visible, but QB does not allow (or at least I don't see how) selecting and applying the credit balance from the parent company to the invoices of the sub accounts. What am I missing? Is there a setting adjustment or a step that I'm missing?

BTW -- I tried going to the "receive payments" screen to do this, and I also tried opening the credit memo and selecting "use credit to apply to invoice".

Last edited by JeffW012; 01-11-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Rustler, the parent company is a current customer, but the 200+ individual locations will be historic customers which will be inactivated after clearing up the outstanding balances. So combining these into 1 customer sounds like a good solution, but I'm not familiar with combining customers and your warning that this cannot be undone does concern me, however, I don't know why we would want to unmerge them. Can you give an example of why it might be needful to have them as separate customers since they will be moved to inactive anyway??? Sorry to be a pest, but with limited experience and nearly all of that dealing with A/R, I just don't want to mess up. BTW, since all of these balances are so old, if we can, we want to write off the balances as bad debt for 2016 taxation - no problem there - right?

Last edited by JeffW012; 01-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you Rustler & Uniz.

Uniz, you described exactly what I was attempting to do. However, getting thru those 1st 3 steps is as far as I can go. The unpaid invoices of the sub accounts are visible, but QB does not allow (or at least I don't see how) selecting and applying the credit balance from the parent company to the invoices of the sub accounts. What am I missing? Is there a setting adjustment or a step that I'm missing?

BTW -- I tried going to the "receive payments" screen to do this, and I also tried opening the credit memo and selecting "use credit to apply to invoice".
Go to "receive payment" screen, select the parent account, select one invoice line in the grid below (just select the line, don't check the checkbox), click "Discount and Credits" button on the top , click on "Credits" tab, then apply the credit.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 PM

Thanks Uniz, but this does not work. It is what I tried earlier, and I tried again just now making sure I followed your steps exactly, but when I click on "Credits" tab, the credit does not show up for me to apply. Is there perhaps a setting that I need to change?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Rustler, the parent company is a current customer, but the 200+ individual locations will be historic customers which will be inactivated after clearing up the outstanding balances. So combining these into 1 customer sounds like a good solution, but I'm not familiar with combining customers and your warning that this cannot be undone does concern me, however, I don't know why we would want to unmerge them. Can you give an example of why it might be needful to have them as separate customers since they will be moved to inactive anyway??? Sorry to be a pest, but with limited experience and nearly all of that dealing with A/R, I just don't want to mess up. BTW, since all of these balances are so old, if we can, we want to write off the balances as bad debt for 2016 taxation - no problem there - right?
Merge in QB is the same as combine.
you merge customers by changing the name of one, the identical name of the other - the other is the customer that remains

you can merge one sub customer into another, but you can not merge a sub customer into a parent, without first making the sub customer a parent level customer, then that merge will work

from the sounds of things, merge the sub customers, apply credits, then make them inactive, the parent customer will remain.

create a non inventory item called bad debt, select the bad debt expense account on the item screen. Use that item on the credit memo.
No problem with writing off bad debt after a year or more.