Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Canada Forum

Old 11-20-2015, 03:19 PM

Job Costing procedure

Hi to everyone,
I am supposed to do job costing for my company in quick books Pro and this is my first working on it. Basically my company is into construction and we are subcontractors , right now I am assigning all the expenses to that particular job like material purchased, rentals,etc, I want to know how to assign the payroll expenses as we are outsourcing it from accounting firm.
I would like to know what to give for Class option while entering the invoices / bills .
Appreciate for the help.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-30-2015, 01:52 PM

Class options

Hello Naya123,

I am not using the Canadian version of this software, but we are also a subcontractor who uses pro for job costing. By "class" I am assuming it is like "item"? I broke those down into the most common categories for each job. For example- we are a landscaping firm, so "install irrigation" is an "item" that i can assign hours to for each employee as they work on the job, just like "irrigation materials" is an item for recording the purchase of materials. Items are extremely easy to customize (at least in my version?), but I would defiantly advise against getting too bogged down- try finding the broadest categories you are interested in tracking. As I am sure you know, every job is a little different and trying to track every possible variation can be... daunting.

As for the payroll that you outsource to your accounting firm- How are they determining payroll at this point? For example- are your employees hourly? How are you tracking the cost in paychecks? Do you just have a general "wages payable" account? You might want to think about how you are breaking down each employee's paycheck and attribute certain hours to each job using an item. For example, even though we do it in house, when an employee works 3 hours on a job installing irrigation, those hours are recorded as the item "install irrigation" and job "blank", and the "item" is linked to the wages payable account. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya123 View Post
Hi to everyone,
I am supposed to do job costing for my company in quick books Pro and this is my first working on it. Basically my company is into construction and we are subcontractors , right now I am assigning all the expenses to that particular job like material purchased, rentals,etc, I want to know how to assign the payroll expenses as we are outsourcing it from accounting firm.
I would like to know what to give for Class option while entering the invoices / bills .
Appreciate for the help.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2015, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya123 View Post
Hi to everyone,
Appreciate for the help.
Thanks in advance
Job costing is an important function for every business that has employees, sells good, or provides services to customers.

Explore: 13 steps to implementing job costing

I was also doing the same in my previous company, but I had used QuickBooks on the cloud.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 AM

If an outside service like Payroll is now available as an alternative to other outside services is being used for processing payroll. Review the following options of this page to determine which one makes the most sense for the specific needs of the business.

Entered into the software for tracking bank account balances, The net check and payroll impound amount clear on the bank statement individually, and Job costing is important for accurate profit and loss by job analysis.