DocuSend QuickBooks App Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Mac Forum

Old 02-12-2015, 04:06 PM

remote Mac access

This may have been addressed, but I cannot find exactly what I am trying to do. I was hired to do bookkeeping for a client who has a MacBook. I have Windows on my laptop, so for a while, I would work at their office or take their company laptop for the weekend. My boss has now purchased a Mac for me to work remotely (the original plan). I need to know the best way to work on this so no one loses data. When I saved a copy of my work to a zip drive, all new data from me and the company computer was lost upon uploading to company computer. I see a lot of references to working in the cloud, but I am not technical enough to know exactly how that works, and my boss does not like the idea of the cloud (don't know why, but there it is). I have looked at some of the links or patches to allow remote access, but several say they do not work with Mac. Does anyone know if there is a remote access method that is safe for Macs so I can work from home and the client can still enter things as needed? Would he need to leave his computer up all the time? We would not be in the same areas of QB- I would be bills, data entry, bank recs, etc.; he would probably only generate invoices and enter payments.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Have a look at logmein.

http://www.qblittlesquare.com/2012/1...ross-networks/
Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM

The solution linked above recommends LogMeIn Hamachi, which is a VPN solution. I'd hate to run a QuickBooks file of any size over an internet based VPN. It would be slow to say the least. It's bad enough on a GB LAN. If you were accessing the data file over a local network, Himachi is not needed. Using it over the internet, which is what Himachi is designed for, with QuickBooks is just a bad idea, in my humble opinion. If anyone has tried this and it worked out for you, please post about it and correct me.

LogMeIn Pro for Individuals is a screen sharing solution and would allow you to run QuickBooks on the computer at work as if you were sitting there. It is currently $99 / year. That's reasonable enough. It's easy to install and use for a nontechnical person.

OS X has built in Screen Sharing, which I use over the Internet to access clients with Macs. However it requires a static IP address and router configuration, but once setup it's done and easy to use. I hate to pay for something I already have built into my OS. If your office has an IT Administrator, s/he can handle the setup for you and give you the info you need to make the connection.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM

Arkell, I don't know whether you could solve your problem by now.

If not I suggest to look at TeamViewer (www.teamviewer.com). In my opinion Teamviewer beats any other remote support/control solution by light years. If you use it only occasionally you can use it for free (I do this since years to help friends all around the world with their computer problems), if you want to do it commercially you can buy it for a one-time price of $750.

It is extremely easy to set up and to operate. I have two people in their 80's who were able to set it up on their end within minutes and who now call me frequently and immediately ask: "Can you have a quick look ...?".

It works from Mac to Mac, from Mac to PC, from PC to Mac, from PC to PC, from and to Linux to and from Linux/Mac/PC ... it just works!

Suppose you and your partner have a decent Internet connection you can work on your partner's computer almost as fast as on your own computer. It's really worth a try.

Last edited by desertman; 10-29-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 PM

Hosting your QuickBooks on the cloud is one of the methods to remote access QuickBooks. There are many Intuit endorsed hosting providers that host your licensed QuickBooks, whatever version you are using - pro, premier, enterprise or Mac. If you'll opt for QuickBooks hosting, your QuickBooks for Mac will be installed on the server of hosting provider and you, your boss or even your client can access it using a web browser and log-in password anytime, anywhere.

I would recommend you to take a look at the QuickBooks hosting service by AceCloudHosting.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkell View Post
This may have been addressed, but I cannot find exactly what I am trying to do. I was hired to do bookkeeping for a client who has a MacBook. I have Windows on my laptop, so for a while, I would work at their office or take their company laptop for the weekend. My boss has now purchased a Mac for me to work remotely (the original plan). I need to know the best way to work on this so no one loses data. When I saved a copy of my work to a zip drive, all new data from me and the company computer was lost upon uploading to company computer. I see a lot of references to working in the cloud, but I am not technical enough to know exactly how that works, and my boss does not like the idea of the cloud (don't know why, but there it is). I have looked at some of the links or patches to allow remote access, but several say they do not work with Mac. Does anyone know if there is a remote access method that is safe for Macs so I can work from home and the client can still enter things as needed? Would he need to leave his computer up all the time? We would not be in the same areas of QB- I would be bills, data entry, bank recs, etc.; he would probably only generate invoices and enter payments.
Cloud accounting is the new term introduce, but non-technical user still not has enough knowledge about cloud computing. Whether, you are technical or non-technical user, it is very easy to shift to cloud. Moreover, It will decrease your IT cost and increase productivity. I certainly recommend you to use QuickBooks on the private cloud to access data from anywhere anytime. For more information, you can also try Welcome Networks free private cloud services demo.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Remote Mac Access - affordable option

I would hope by now you've found a solution but if not, I'd recommend my cloud provider (www.vyoncloud.com). I know you said the owner was not interested in cloud but by now the cloud has proven itself to be a huge asset in this area and a very safe option. I was also apprehensive about using cloud computing but am so glad I made the switch! Really, it's allowed me to work anywhere and access files at the same time as my client for quick edits and I find it makes the client more at ease versus using flash drives or faxing changes back and forth. I host QuickBooks pro and other applications (Office 365) through VyonCloud for a low monthly price. It's truely helped me meet deadlines and they take care of everything. I did not know much about how to migrate but they took me through the process step-by-step. I hope you've found an answer but if not, give them a try. All the best to you!