Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Canada Forum

Old 10-19-2015, 05:17 PM

Invoicing and inventory issues

Hello,

I am using QB Pro 2013. When a customer purchases items from me, I go straight to create invoices and just enter what they are buying and then I post it.

In many cases but not all, I enter an item and a popup window says I do not have sufficient stock to fill this order but I do.

I may have a quantity of 50 of an item on hand, I try to invoice a quantity of 5 and this message pops up? I ignore it and carry on. After posting the invoice, I go to lists\items and check and sure enough, I have a quantity on hand so this is baffling.

Does anyone have any tips on why QB is telling me this?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-20-2015, 05:00 AM

right click on the item in the item list and select quick report, set the report date range to ALL using the drop down selector and refresh the report
are there any dates in the future?

If so that is the problem. QB will show the qty for future receipts of inventory as being on hand, but will not "see" the qty before that date when selling
Old 10-20-2015, 05:04 AM

The first thing that I would check is:

are you sure that you are selecting the correct item?

Secondly, close out of QuickBooks and open it again. This, amazingly enough, solves some quirks, I have noticed.

Third, go to Utilities>Rebuild data. If there are any error messages, follow through on researching the win.log file and fixing the items showing errors.

You get to the QBWIN.log by:
1.) Within QuickBooks
2.) Hold Ctrl + 1 or hit F2 (this will open the Product Information window)
3.) Then Ctrl + 2 (this will open the Tech Help window)
4.) Go to the Open File tab
5.) On the left scroll down to find the file QBWIN.log6.) Highlight it
7.) Click Open File button on the right

There is a lot of confusing stuff in there so you can use the find feature in your text viewer program (the one that opens the file) to look for certain words like duplicate, error, LVL_ERROR, recnum and mismatch to quickly find common errors.
Another thing that works, sometimes, is:
  • Create a portable company file.
  • Restore it under a new file name.
  • From that new file, create another portable company file and restore it (you can restore to the 2nd file and overwrite that).
  • Repeat one more time and review. .
It is recommended to do this work on the same computer where the file is stored. If the file is stored on a server, bring a copy to the local drive to perform the maintenance.

I hope this helps,

Laura D

♫•*¨•.¸¸.•*¨• I make QuickBooks sing! •*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫

www.centsablebookkeeping.com
Recommending Qbox: http://bit.do/qbox-98
Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Hi Rustler & Laura D,

Thanks for the input. I think, based on the quick item report that was mentioned, that the issue is old sales orders.

I have just had the data from Netsuite converted to use in QB as the company in question went from 24 people to one so Netsuite just didn't make sense any more.

From Netsuite, there are a lot of really old sales orders that are not valid and I believe QB thinks this stock is spoken for although it really isn't. I guess it is using a stock available number based on what is sitting in the sales orders that got dragged in from the other program.

I have to figure out how to delete all existing sales orders in QB and I believe this should stop the message from popping up.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 AM

Hi again,

One quick question if anyone can weigh in. The version of QB I am using does not support Sales Orders which is fine as I don't need them. I can however, open an existing Sales Order that was imported and edit or delete it.

I am wondering if deleting Sales Orders if fine or whether this may cause any other issues as they could be partially filled Sales Orders from say, a year ago and there are just some remaining items that were not shipped but some items were previously shipped.

I just don't want to mess up the data if the previously shipped items connected to a Sales Order may cause some disconnects in sales history etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 06:04 AM

sales orders, in version that support them, are non posting and do not affect qty on hand - they are memos of what is promised to the customer

I would delete them, then see if the issue remains, it probably will remain

sales history is based upon invoices or sales receipts nothing else