Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Switching from QB on line to desktop

I am a current user of QB On Line using a MAC. I work for a non-profit operating foundation. I am considering purchasing the Premier Nonprofit Edition and using a program on my MAC that allows a PC platform. Has anyone done this? If so, was it a satisfactory working platform. Or would I be better off to purchase a PC to set up the QB?
Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 AM

Parallels, or other windows emulators on a mac, work and there are some that have no problems with QB running on that emulator. I would consider the age and speed of the Mac, since running that emulator first is an additional processing load and has its own system requirements

BUT
the export to desktop (US Only) provides you with a file that must be opened in desktop within 10 days, and the file has known problems, some things do not export, inventory exports as service items with no history, payroll if you have it is exported as regular paychecks, these known problems have existed for over 8 years
https://community.intuit.com/article...rt-limitations

print out the QBO P&L, balance sheet, inventory valuation summary (if you have inventory), and sales tax liability as a minimum, compare the QBO reports to the same reports in desktop after you have a desktop company file - they must match, if not you have to find and correct the problems, intuit will not help

IMO if at all possible, it would be better to just re-enter all transactions in desktop

how to go from QBO to QBDT
https://community.intuit.com/article...ine-to-desktop
Old 05-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Thank you for the feedback. Can you recommend a windows emulator? We are also purchasing a new Mac. We do not run payroll and have no inventory. We are a non-profit retreat center, so hopefully, I will not lose any records.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:08 AM

No, sorry I can not, I have no experience with Mac, just mentioning parallels because on another forum some folks have mentioned it.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:40 PM

Although it is not completely adequate for not-for-profit accounting, QuickBooks Premier Nonprofit would be my recommendation if you are going to stay with the QuickBooks family.

Since the on-line version is so woefully inadequate for any non-profit which is subject to GAAP requirements, I would recommend that beginning with the year subsequent to the last tax return filed that you start to input data as it should have been had you been using something more robust that QuickBooks Online. In other words, don't waste time trying to integrate past entries into the new version. Just make whatever adjustment to the ending Balance Sheet accounts to determine the beginning balances for the new chart of accounts.

Before you start entering data, take some time to learn how to use QuickBooks tools such as class, job, items, vendor and customer types, and how to modify QuickBooks reports (especially the equity section of the Statement of Financial Condition where both restricted and unrestricted net assets are tracked ) and how to generate Statements of Activities for functional expenses.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 PM

For some idea of what may be expected in nonprofit reports, see http://www.nonprofitaccountingbasics...ial-activities

And for some direction in using Excel as a tool with QuickBooks Nonprofit edition, see http://www.nonprofitaccountingbasics...eports_new.pdf