DocuSend QuickBooks App Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 PM

Exclamation Bill entry and payment

I just noticed something in QB that has me concerned. I entered a bill into QB and specified that the money should come from the book fair expenses account as shown in the pic called bill below. I then go and pay the bill in QB.

When I look at the register it shows the payment coming from an account I don’t even use and is not in my chart of accounts—grants payable. See the register pic below

When I run my monthly report, it shows the money coming from the correct account. See the attachment called report below. Why is QB showing the bill payment through the grants payable account instead of the book fair expense account? I am concerned because I have looked over my audit trail report and there are several transactions like this on the report and it has me worried. I am going to have to explain this to my Board and I do not know what to tell them.

I am trying so hard to implement what I have learned through QB classes but this is very concerning.

TIA for any answers or advice.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bill.png (41.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Register.png (4.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png report.png (1.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 AM

The expense account, book fair expenses, is not what you are paying from - that is the reason for the payment. Just like you pay elect, the payment posts the reason you spent money in the elect expense account - but you pay the expense from a bank or credit card account.

You need to bring up the bill and look to see what account is selected as the source of the money you used for that payment.

Bring up the paid bill, click the reports tab, click vendor balance detail icon
double click on the bill payment and at the top it will show what account was used to the pay the bill
Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 PM

I have looked back over the bill and noticed that this has happened numerous times in the past and did not know it. It has occurred when I used the write function process or used the using the enter bill process. Before I knew how to use this process I simply did the write check process and thought everything worked fine because my reports looked fine and I did not look at the audit trail report.

After looking some more I noticed that the grants payable has an account type of accounts payable.