Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 02:20 PM

Cool Posting In-Kind Inventory

Someone donated some furniture and 2 ShopRite gift cards recently. We have these items in storage for the time being.

What is the best way to post these items into inventory? Then, when we donate these items to needy people, how do we clear these items out of inventory to show as donated goods??

We have the 2016 version of QB non Profit Edition.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 AM

assuming you have a service item for donations that posts to a donation income account
create if you need to a dummy bank account called intrade

Use a sales receipt, use the donation item for each item donated, enter what it is in the description block and assign a fair market value to the item, save.

Use make deposits and put the FMV from the sales receipt in the dummy intrade bank account

Create the inventory items for what was donated, zero on hand zero value

Create if you need to a dummy vendor called trading.
"Buy" the inventory items from the dummy vendor trading using the dummy intrade bank account as the payment source

the dummy intrade bank account should now be zero, the items are stocked with qty and cost. Sell the items
Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 AM

Okay, so I have a Service Item named: In-Kind and an Income Account named: In-Kind Contributions (is this okay?)

I'm okay until I get down to "Create the inventory items for what was donated, zero on hand zero value" Hmmm, not sure I understand how to do this. I will try it on my QB. Can you explain this procedure step by step ?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna.treasurer View Post
Okay, so I have a Service Item named: In-Kind and an Income Account named: In-Kind Contributions (is this okay?)

I'm okay until I get down to "Create the inventory items for what was donated, zero on hand zero value" Hmmm, not sure I understand how to do this. I will try it on my QB. Can you explain this procedure step by step ?

Thanks
in kind contributions is ok for an income account name

In the item list, use the button bottom left and select new, select the item type as inventory. Name it, enter a sales and purchase description, select your sales income account, leave the default expense and asset account as is, save.