Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Refund from Vendor

Here is a question that is going to make your eyes roll. I have a vendor that said there was still an outstanding balance owed to them. My records showed no balance due but I was sick and didn't feel like arguing so I created an additional bill for $500.00 and then paid the bill. Within days the vendor realized their error and refunded us $300.00.

My problem is that I entered the refunded money as a deposit; Received from (Vendor), From Accounts (A/P) and completed deposit.

Now, how do I make my Vendor balance to be zero again; it shows $300.00 balance due.

Thank you in advance
Cindy
Old 05-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Imagine you figured it out by now. Apologies for the forum not responding! Enter a "credit" type transaction into A/P for the vendor. Normally you enter "bills" there; just click the cell to indicate a "credit." Make sure to use a G/L coding that makes the transaction wash against the deposit you recorded.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 AM

I think you may need to undo what you already did first, but here are my notes for when this happens to us:

Enter Refund Check from Vendor

This is rare, but when a vendor sends a refund check (insurance adjustment, overpayment, returns, etc.) the following will properly handle the check and include it in a deposit as well as connect the transaction to the vendor.
-Enter Credit Memo
-Go to Bank Deposits, manually enter deposit information (in addition to checking other deposits if applicable). You must use the Accounts Payable account.
-Go to Vendors Pay Bills. Select the vendor.
-Go to Set Credits and check the available credit.
-Click Pay Selected Bills.
-Done