DocuSend QuickBooks App Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 07-06-2017, 06:29 PM

Bank error

While doing the prep work for my year end audit I found a BIG problem. A deposit slip was presented to the bank. The deposit slip had the wrong total on it. Instead of checking the math, the bank deposited the amount on the slip--to a total of an extra $300. I am going to try and get that fixed at the bank tomorrow. When I entered the transaction into QB, I used the bank receipt. My mistake.

While trying to fix the problem in QB, I have created a situation where the PTA now shows -$1,452.14. When I try to delete this payment, QB tells me to edit the deposit. I go to edit the deposit then QB tells me to edit the payment and I get caught in this never ending circle. All I want to do is get this transaction out of QB so I can fix it. I am going to do a restore so I can start this edit process all over.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 PM

A general journal entry may help, but I wouldn't make any entry until you find out what the bank is going to do. Depending upon what the bank does, this may be fixable as you reconcile your next bank statement to QuickBooks.

If the deposit was made in a prior month (a month for which you have already received a bank statement), I'm curious as to how you treated the discrepancy when you did the reconciliation for that month.

Last edited by Lorin Browning; 07-08-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:35 PM

After doing a lot of research and sending e-mails I was able to determine that the bank deposited the correct amount. The President that did the deposit confirmed that the deposit record she completed and gave to me was wrong. I sent her the scans to help her verify th deposit. I also reviewed the invoice associated and determined everything was correct.

Thanks for the info. I was going to post that the issue had been investigated and cleared but I did not know when the moderator approved the original post.