Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Enterprise Edition Forum

Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Upgrading Quickbooks

Hi, My company has recently taken over another company that uses Quickbooks Enterprise and i've inherited supporting the product, despite having never used it before and knowing nothing about it.

They are running v14 and have 6 users running the system from a company file that sits on their file server. We've needed to replace one of the laptops and have installed QB from the install file i found on their network onto the new PC. It installed fine but when i launched it it mentioned i need to purchase the Advanced Stock Module and to update the software. I updated the software and relaunched the program - this time I got no Advanced Stock Module message but i did get a message saying the data file needs to be upgraded but it can't do it because other users are in the system.

I asked the current users if they updated their software and they said they were always advised not too (no idea why). I'm assuming my next steps at this point are for me to upgrade all the current users and then upgrade the data file (or simply upgrade the data file and leave some of the users on the old version) but i wanted to check in case there is anything i need to be aware of. I'll obviously make backups but we don't have any QB support (I understand its no longer available?) and i'm being extra careful as it could be quite 'dramatic' if we lose access to QB.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-2017, 11:01 AM

We use v17

My company upgraded to 17 this past January, just before my arrival. The boss said it went easily, with only a few minor quirks. An outside outfit ran ours in the middle of a day. They started with the file server data base, then moved on to individual PC's.

Your staff is correct to "ignore" the upgrade messages. You need to follow some procedural steps to help it go right. Upgrading from 14 to 17 could prove more problematic. I recommend bringing an expert in. If you decide to fly solo, make sure to backup the database. It requires the users to exit and the admin going into single-user mode.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Corporate environments

QBES is typically installed on each work statation. Yes you have to upgrade each installation if you are sharing a common company file. I started doing things differently - I install a central server in the office network/LAN and run one copy of QBES. Then, each user connects via Remote Desktop Connection. It costs a bit more to set up, but it also run much faster, even over the LAN. Then, remote users can also access QBES from outside the office. I just wrote an order entry form that runs over the web, so sales people can write Estimates from the customers site, and it goes directly into QB where someone at the office converts the Estimate into an Order within an hour! Lots of benefits to using a server with RDC.