Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 AM

Is QB Pro 2010 a fraud

When using QB Pro 2010 to reconcile the checking account, the list of deposits does not include the check number. There is a column labeled "Chk #" just the same as the list of checks on the left side. I called QB support and paid for the answer that QB does not do that. I even asked to talk to a supervisor who explained to me that my request was a waste of time.

Note that if you double click on the deposit line or highlight it and click "Go To", QB will show you the deposit detail - including the check number. Thus, in order to reconcile a checking account, it is necessary to go through this stupid drill for every check that was deposited (hundreds some months).

Two things come to mind. First, the check number is stored in the data and should be quite easy for a competent programmer to retrieve. Second, the column labeled "Chk #" is like selling a car with what appear to be headlights mounted on the front but they are not. They are just parts painted to look like headlights. Of course, just like the reconcile report, the user will not find out that the feature is a fake until it gets dark.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:32 AM

Since the Reconciliation in QuickBooks is th verify that the transactions in QB and those in the Bank match, does the Bank Statement list the checks with their number that you deposited?
You can get a report of the Payments you received with their check number by using the Custom Transaction Detail report. Modify it and set Total by to Payment Method, then click Filter and set the date to the range needed and Transaction Type to Payment.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 AM

I am in the UAE and the banks provide the check numbers for checks that are deposited. Beyond that, they list each check seperately on the bank statement. Thus, it would be very easy to do if QB simply listed the check numbers that we already entered in the column that is already provided on the reconciliation form.

I have looked at the Custom Transaction Detail report and the Deposit Detail reports, but check number is not available as a selected column in either report. And, even if it was, it is not part of the reconcile screen and would be even more work.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Yep - I can see where this would cause you some frustration!

If the bank statement lists every single check deposited, then don't use undeposited funds. In the U.S. it's usually the opposite problem of people entering individual checks and then can't match with the grouped deposit total on the bank statement.

To direct an individual payment directly to the bank (which will then show the chk# on the reconciliation screen), go to Edit, preferences (you'll need to be logged in as Admin to do this), click on Payments in the left hand column and click the Company Preference Tab on the left.

Uncheck the box "Use Undeposited Funds as a default deposit to account". Then when you receive payments, you'll be able to deposit the individual check directly to the bank account.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Thank you Lisa. Your solution is as good as it gets with QuickBooks. I tried to get a solution out of the QB support people with no success.

My only remaining problem is that QB removes the bank name (HSBC, ADCB, etc.) from the check number before it is displayed on the reconcile screen. However, using the procedure I outlined above, that information is actually retained in QB. Most of the time the combination of check number, date and amount will be unique. Unfortunately, this application is for a Music School that often charges lots of customers the same amount, so it is not always unique.

My overall solution is to start accepting credit/debit cards and the number of checks will decrease over time.

Again, thank you. It is a real treat to encounter someone that is not only generous with their information, but actually has useful information to share.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM

You could enter a reference to bank in the check number field when you enter the payment.

You're welcome - glad to help.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 AM

We do that every time. The check number field on the payment or sales receipt form is filled as "HSBC 1234" or "ADCB 001234". When we click on a deposit item in the reconcile screen and then click "Go To", the bank name and check number are displayed exactly as entered. However, the column labelled "Chk #" on the reconcile form only shows the numeric portion of the check number field. I even tried putting the number in front of the bank name ("1234 HSBC") and the result is the same.

It is hard to understand the logic of a programmer that strips information out of a field before displaying it on a report. However, after about 25 years of writing software and employing programmers, I do understand that there are many different interpretaions of "logical".

Anyway, thanks again.