Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 12-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Returned check doesn't show up in reconcile screen

A customer had a bounced check. I have followed the steps listed in Quickbooks help to reinvoice the customer. (Who has since paid.)

I've had several returned checks over the last few years with no problems, so I believe all the things are properly set up in my system.

I am trying to reconcile my bank statement, which has the returned check as a debit. It does not show up in the reconcile screen. I looked in the register, and I see the item there, as a debit, not cleared. And yet it doesn't show up in the reconcile screen so I can clear it.

I am not referring to any service charges from the bank, which would be entered under the service charge section of the reconcile screen. I'm talking about the actual bounced check amount.

How can something be in my check register, and not show up in the reconcile screen? Aargh!

Thanks!
JoAnne

I've attached screen shots, maybe they'll help with my explanation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reconcile1.jpg (17.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg reconcile2.jpg (10.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 12-25-2010, 04:51 AM

The transaction IVN to Frankie's Pizza should show on the Check side if the reconcile. The original deposit that included the deposit for their payment should show unless you VOIDED it.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:09 PM

not showing in reconcile

That's what i was thinking - the Frankie's invoice should show in the check side of the reconcile screen. But it's not there.

I didn't void the deposit. I'm pretty sure that it got reconciled earlier, but I'll have to wait until I'm back at work on Monday to double check that.

joanne
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 AM

clarification

I was correct - I have not voided the deposit. The deposit is listed on the reconcile screen, and is ready to be cleared.

I realized I didn't offer any explanation for my images. The first one is a clip from my checkbook register, showing the transaction. The second one is a clip from the reconcile screen, showing how that transaction isn't there.

Thanks,
joAnne

Last edited by joannelj; 12-27-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 AM

just a wild question, Was the check written on the account you are reconciling?

I have made this mistake before myself!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM

correct account

Yes, the returned check was debited from my regular checking account, which is the account I'm trying to reconcile. I double checked just now!

When I look in the checkbook register (and in the first image I posted) I can see that all the items around this transaction have an * in the cleared column, meaning that I have checked them off in the reconcile screen, but not finished by clicking the "reconcile now" button.

Just on a lark, I rebuilt my data files. Didn't help.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 PM

I found it!

When I reconcile I always sort by check number, which lists items without a number first, sorted by date. I kept thinking it must be there, and that I was just missing it, so it belatedly occurred to me to sort by name. Voila - I found it!

I still can't find it when sorted the other way - I guess QB is doing something odd there. But who cares - I found it!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannelj View Post
When I reconcile I always sort by check number, which lists items without a number first, sorted by date. I kept thinking it must be there, and that I was just missing it, so it belatedly occurred to me to sort by name. Voila - I found it!

I still can't find it when sorted the other way - I guess QB is doing something odd there. But who cares - I found it!
Whew,, glad you found it!! What we learned here is to resort when at first something is amiss.

I would not call it odd, In my world that is a bug and should be reported if documentation proof can be created.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 AM

After you found it, did it have a check number? If it is a JE, then it may have a blank number unless you enter one.