Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > Other QuickBooks Forums > Comparison Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 PM

What version questions...

Hi All,

Don't know where to start. To save you a lot of reading the short start is: I need integrated shipping and merchant payment through website orders. If you know something about this please read on...

First, our business: We are a hand dyed fabrics maker in business over 20 years. Our products are used in quilting. We sell at shows all over the country, big business in Japan, and through our website.

Right now we have a website hosted through Earthlink, MIVA merchant is our shopping cart and IGS (Innovative Gateway Solutions, a Intuit company) is our merchant solution.

Right now we are using a File Maker Pro data base to hold customer orders, info, and do basic sales accounting. When a order comes in through the website it arrives as an email. The info has to be copied from the email to the database, then again into IGS and again in Fedex/ups/usps to get the shipping label. If an order comes in over the phone then it gets typed in(or duplicated if an existing customer) For orders taken at a show it is written down by hand and then entered in when back in the office. This system works and has worked for years now but is cumbersome and frankly boring.

Also, the basic sales figures and data gleened from FM Pro still has to be entered into Quicken. Redundant and boring.

I need to change this system so that I can focus on growth.

I have one product that is a standout seller, cant keep it on the shelf. We dont make it but import it from japan. I am using this product to build a new system on. I have purchased a new domain name to reflect just that one product and sell only that product. After I have this new product situated and the system running smoothly I will move the other part of the business over to homestead(as its own domain)

Speaking to sales reps, consultants and techs I have the following info...

1. QB has integrated shipping with UPS and Fedex.
2. There is a add-on from stamps.com that adds USPS functions through QB.
3. Homestead is an Intuit company that offers hosting that integrates with QB (and is much cheaper that earthlink)
4. Intuit also has a merchant payment division that offers very comparable rates to IGS and also will be integrated with what I have in mind.
5. Speaking to Homestead reps and techs I find that only 2009 QB will work in this manner.

So I have numerous dilemmas to solve.

I have not signed up for any of these services yet, so no money lost and not locked into anything. I understand that if I go down this path there will be many, many questions, configuration issues and a big learning curve. That's fine if the end result is what I want. I like a good challenge.

Is there anybody here that is currently using QB/Homestead/QB merchant successfully to process orders and ship them out? Hows it working for you?

Your opinions and personal working experience are valued highly.

Mind you, I am not asking how to set all this up, just if it works the way my research indicates that it will.

I would LOVE to see your homestead website up and running, please provide a URL.

If there are any misconceptions I have based on my research please correct me.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Cheers,
Alex