DocuSend QuickBooks App Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 03:53 PM

Inventory management

Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding QuickBooks:

I manufacture tubes. The tubes come in different sizes and lengths. I want to be able to look at a specific size and see how may pieces I have and at what lengths. I need to see the details not just the total amount at a specific size.

1) Can I use QB as an Inventory Management tool?

2) If QB can not provide me with these details is there another program I can use that works together with QB to manage my inventor? At some point I would like to use a bar code reader but not sure if that will work with QB either!

Thank you for the help!!
Rpatel
Old 04-18-2017, 03:59 AM

QB does not have matrix inventory nor does it have a pull from function, which is what I think you are hoping for.

In QB each inventory item is unique, if as an example you order and stock tubes
3/8 dia, 5/16 dia, in 3ft and 5 ft lengths, you would need 4 items

tube, 3/8 x 3
tube, 3/8 x 5
tube, 5/16 x 3
tube, 5/16 x 5

If that example is not what you are talking about please explain in more detail.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatel View Post
Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding QuickBooks:

I manufacture tubes. The tubes come in different sizes and lengths. I want to be able to look at a specific size and see how may pieces I have and at what lengths. I need to see the details not just the total amount at a specific size.

1) Can I use QB as an Inventory Management tool?

2) If QB can not provide me with these details is there another program I can use that works together with QB to manage my inventor? At some point I would like to use a bar code reader but not sure if that will work with QB either!

Thank you for the help!!
Rpatel
QB doesn't have great tool for complicated inventory. What I mean by complicated is like you have different assembly/formula/build of materials to build the products. It's a great tool for managing inventory for distributor/retailer where you just buy and resale.

There are several Quickbooks Add-On that can bridge that gap like Fish Bowl, Misys
Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Time to get a consultant

You people realize that Rpatel continues to ask the same question with a new thread, possibly not liking each member's advice. For example, Rustler provided some solid suggestions/recommendations - and continued within this thread - but Patel chooses to ignore the efforts here. Or maybe this person has a poor memory.

So enough trolling of the forum. Hire a consultant, pal.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:34 PM

New to QB

Hello Froid,

Sorry you feel that way. It is not that I don't like the answers. i appreciate everyone that has tried to help. Like I stated I am very new to this program. If you clearly don't want to help then let the other's try to help me. Didn't know they allowed bullies on this page.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatel View Post
Hello Froid,

Sorry you feel that way. It is not that I don't like the answers. i appreciate everyone that has tried to help. Like I stated I am very new to this program. If you clearly don't want to help then let the other's try to help me. Didn't know they allowed bullies on this page.
Not the case at all. I've been here since 2008 and have never seen anything close to bullying - you are way off base.

One problem is you asked in March, and only now replied in May - and then not to any of the attempts to help. One problem is in your description of the issue,
I manufacture tubes. The tubes come in different sizes and lengths

so are you ordering a given length and processing it into smaller lengths? Doesn't sound that way.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 AM

Hello Rustler,

I order raw material in lbs and manufacture the raw material into straight length tubes or coils which are measured in feet. We offer all different OD and wall tubes. 3/8" OD x 0.035" wall or 7/8" OD and 0.028" wall and each of these different sizes come in different lengths or lengths made to order. If I have a customer call and ask me how much 3/8" x 0.035" I have in stock I want to be able to see that I have (5) coils at 1,025', 3,000', 2050', 7,000' and 4,000'. Is that possible in QB? I apologize for not being more specific. From what I have read in the earlier posts, I believe QB does not track these specifics and I would have to get an add on to quick books. Is this correct?

Also I apologize for not responding right away to all the help that people have given me. I did not mean any disrespect.

Thank you for your help.
RP
Old 05-25-2017, 04:04 AM

I appreciate the apology, but it wan't me you should direct that to.

Yes your situation can be handled in QB, but it would be difficult, and require some work arounds. Better to find actual manufacturing software and just do the accounting in QB is not process oriented.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 AM

Thank you

Thanks for the help. I will look at some add on's as mentioned in earlier posts.