Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > Other QuickBooks Forums > Comparison Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 06:45 AM

Which accounting system is better?

Hi,

I am working as an IT manager at a small manufacturing business right now. They are currently using an archaic dos based accounting system. They have been using the same system for over 10 years, and they get by with it but they see it's time to update.

They are also using a very outdated inventory management system. I have proposed bringing in a complete ERP solution for them, and they are very into it. The only problem we're having now is deciding which accounting system to go with.

There's Accpac, but we don't really know very much about them, asides from the fact that it can go from moderately priced to very expensive in very little time.

Another option is Quickbooks, which seems much nicer priced for our business.

My question is what's so special about accpac? Where would I be losing out if I used Quickbooks along with a ERP software?

I'm very confused with this, and I hope someone will be able to help me out, or at least point me in the right direction.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Hi Dominic
Choosing an accounting system requires a special approach otherwise you could be sucked in by sales people into the wrong and an over-priced system.
Beware of those who claim you can leave the office at 5!
The good old fashioned approach is to spend some time working out what you want the new system to do - then write this down, its your SOR or "statement of requirements" and make it as detailed as you want & have copies of documents you want to be provided - for example sales invoice layouts & reports.
Then talk to suppliers and get them to show you how their system meets your requirements. Don't proceed any further with them until they convince you.
Sure Quickbooks is a great system - it might be right for you and if it is you're on to a winner.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 AM

Depends... at the end it's cost vs benefits. Unification is good however you need to realize there's no perfect products. A company may decides to buy a particular software only to realize that it doesn't serve ALL of it's business process, this might be solve by the software company as they grow BUT may cost something more substantial compared to integrating another software that is compatible with the first.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 PM

Blah Blah Blah..
If you want to stay in this cost bracket then try Peachtree Manufacturing. It blows all others away, and in the fall it will bundle MiSys. The only problems with Peachtree is the interface sucks and it's not as flexible (re: delete transactions) as Quickbooks.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:43 PM

I would have to agree with Hartford, but I am curious...have you made a choice yet? and if so what did you go to with?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM

Hi Dominic,

Hartford is absolutely correct. Make a list of what you need and then demo various software packages. I would like to recommend NumberCruncher. They are easy to use, assimilate perfectly with QB's and are 20%-30% less than anyone out there. Their software targets growing to medium sized businesses. It was designed as the perfect "add on" to QB's.

Good luck.