Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 PM

reconciling between classes

I'm new to the non-profit world. Our organization received it's first grant to be managed on behalf of 4 other organizations. So I set up a total of 5 classes. The expenses and payroll/fringe are paid 100% by our organization and then need to be split equally across the other 4 regions to reimburse our organization. How do I post this without duplicating expenses?
Thanks so much!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:50 AM

Classes works for income and expense accounts but not well for balance sheet account. If it is the expenses that you need to split, when entering the expenses other than payroll, split them on that transaction with the class for each location.
For payroll if you are using the Payroll function in QuickBooks, then enter a journal entry that CREDITs the Payroll Expense account used by payroll for the FULL amount and then DEBIT the same account and split the expense between the classes.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM

splits

Joe ~

Much thanks! My concern is that when I split the payroll for the employees of the organization into 4 classes for reimbursement - will the organization payroll actually be decreased, which would cause incorrect year end payroll reporting?

Another layer to this. We opened a 2nd checking account for the grant money (the 4 classes). So .... I need to actually cut a check and make a deposit to the organization from the grant checking account for reimbursement. Does this change how I post the reimbursement?

Thank you again for your help!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:17 AM

The journal will not change the payroll amounts. It will just allow the expenses to be reported by class.
Since you have a bank account in QB to hold the grant and organization money seperatly, if they are in the same bank like Bank One, just use a Transfer transaction. If they are in differant ones, like Bank One and Wells Fargo, then write a check from one and then deposit that amount into the other one