Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > Other QuickBooks Forums > Suggestion Box

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Need label templates

I own an internet mail order business and I create all of my sales using a customized Merchant services cash sales receipt template and QB 2004 pro.

The "Print shipping label" selection that is available in QB2004 pro is worthless because I cannot edit it and customize it with a return address, etc. The paper size choices are worthless also. Why can't this label be edited like any other template?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I print several types of labels or forms at the time I create a sales receipt using modified cash sales receipts templates but there is a problem with this method.

For example, here are some of the labels that I may print after creating a cash sales receipt.

An address/shipping label for my US postal priority mail packages using a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet with four labels per sheet. Only one of the four labels will be printed. I can get free US postal labels and I would like to be able to use them but I can't based on the current lack of custom editing in QB.

I print two types of customs forms for US postal mail. The small green 2976 form and the large 5 part customs form.

A standard business sized envelope with the customers address printed in the middle and my return address in the upper left corner.

I also print a couple other strange types of labels.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I need is more control over each type of label and a way to store printing preferences for each type of label without affecting the the other labels printing preferences.

For example, the large postal customs form that I print is 5 parts. I now have to select my US postal customs template #2 which is an altered cash sales template. Then I have to hit the print button 5 times to get 5 copies.

If I change my printer properties to print 5 copies in my printer preferences window, all of the other cash sales receipt templates will print 5 copies next time I print unless I remember to set them to one copy the next time I use a cash sales template.

I would also like to have this template print on a second dedicated printer that has address labels only loaded into it. As it stands now, I would have to change the printer every time I printed a label and remember to set it back to the other printer the next time I print any of the other cash sale templates.

Each template needs to be able to have it's own printer preferences such as paper size, layouts of the fields, the printer that you would like to always use for this template, number of copies to print, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I hope Intuit will consider expanding the template editing portion of quickbooks to include the features I mentioned above.

Last edited by EL34; 11-03-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:23 PM

Report Builder ...

... instead? I've had little (and therefore dangerous) experience working with databases. It would be great if we were given a tool to build our own reports without having to use templates. As been my experience there isn't a template (or report) that I can modify to view a project cost report that shows me hours AND billing rates on one report!!

Nor does it seem the latest Pro 2005 edition has that either.

John (still grumbling)
Old 11-10-2004, 08:09 AM

John,
This isn't a report, it is a label that is based on the information on a sales recipt screen transaction.

It would be nice to have a separate label builder function.