Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM

Unhappy Help! I can't track expenses accurately?

Hi,
I recently started a part-time job for a non-profit Trust. The QB nonprofit was set up in a way that for some reason, I cannot get any expense detail reports for the "classes"...
Here's how the Quickbooks "advisor"/our book-keeper providing "in-kind" support set it up:

Donors set up as customers
Organizations for which we collect donations/fundraise for and then turn over the money....set up as "vendors"
Each "grant" or bulk of donation contribution dollars set up as "bills" after they are entered as "deposits" in the bank account.
The "bills" or "obligations" as they call it at my office....are set up as "expense" to a "Grants Payable" account, with a class set up with the specific organization or "event" for which we've collected money and are holding the money for.
When we receive the money, after entering as "deposit" in the bank register, then a bill is created for that amount.
When we pay an expense that is connected to that "bill" then we use "pay bills" and create a check.
The problem with this is that the "bills" are not always the "payee" for the check we're printing.....ie
The bill is for "abc" school, but the expense we're paying for associated to "abc" school is actually to "xyz bus service" vendor. And there is nowhere to indicate the expense account for "xyz bus service" as say...."transportation".....soooooooooo I have NOT been able to have any reports showing all the detail we need....
grant, project, vendor, expense detail.....
HELP! I know that is not how non-profit should have been set up but I've only worked for them for 1 month and am in no position to oppose their system....can anyone give me some advice?
I think my new boss is VERY disatisfied with me and thinks I'm not as smart as my stellar job references made me out to be and I really want to impress him with some solutions.
Thank you!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 AM

Your analysis is correct, the file is set up wrong for nonprofits. Get hold of the book Running Quickbooks in Nonprofits by Ivens, which explains how to set up each of these components. e.g. Your grants are not payables, they are jobs.