Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM

Exclamation Creating Funding Year as Customer & Contributors as "Jobs"

Hello everyone. I have recently assumed a position for a non-profit entity that receives contributions for overlapping periods. Therefore, I cannot use my contribution summary to distinguish outstanding donations from year to year. Also, some donations were put through as pledges and some pledge receivables were entered as donations, rather than as offsets to the corresponding pledge so things are somewhat confusing.

To alleviate this situation in subsequent years, I am planning to set up the year as my customer (say 2010) and then set up each company pledge as a job within that year. I would also do that on my donation side for individual contributions. This would isolate any moneys received to that year and I can still send any correspondence to a "job", vs. a customer.

Does anyone foresee a problem with this game plan? I would appreciate any comments or other suggestions. At present, I have to pull up every donation on my contribution report to see what year it applies to; a real waste of time. There are "items" that were created to designate the year but they roll into the same contribution income account and when I print the contribution summary, I cannot get anything to appear, even when I modify the report and request that the Item column show.

Using the jobs for contributions is the only thing I can think of to distinguish the coming year and be able to reconcile to my new pledge commitments. Thank you for any comments or advice !!!