Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to oowf
Year End 990 - A major headache

Hi all...

I'm new to this forum. Actually just got lucky in finding a good forum like this for Quickbooks.

I've been using QB going back to 2002 I think and am now currently using both 2007 Premier - Non Profit as well as the latest QB for Mac (2009). We have completely switched to Mac on everything except one PC that we leave with windows so we can continue to use our QB (windows version) because we process credit card donations through a QB Merchants account and the Mac version will not accomplish that.

Said all of that to give you a little background on what we have here.

Now... each year at 990 time (this year we were allowed to file the 990 EZ due to increased gross income limitations.

Our accounting system is really simple and so should the 990 preparation but each year I cannot balance and fight with this thing for days and sometimes weeks.

Right... we should hire an accountant... but our budget won't allow it.

Here is what we have.

No employees. No salaries.
We are a 501C3 organization.
Funds come in from individual donors and are initially entered as "Sales Receipts" with the receipt it's self modified to say "Donation Receipt" etc. etc.

We own and operate orphanages in rural China but our offices are in Texas. Consequently, when donations come in I am e-mailed the donation information and our VP in Texas makes the deposit. Our QB accounting is done at our main facility in China. (By me...)

At the time of entry each donation is entered with the (lower left corner) "Deposit to" being "undeposited funds". Once the deposit (the donations for the day) is made and hits our bank account ledger, then I use the "Make Deposits" and record the deposits to match what was deposited along with a matching date.

That's basically it as far as income is concerned.

Expenses are simply as well.

On rare occasion there are office supplies purchased in the States or plane tickets or such but the majority of our expenses is by way of funds being sent to one or the other of our two locations by way of bank transfers.

As an example in 2008 we had 300,000.00 in donations, spent under $2,000.00 in office, postage and travel and sent $280.000.00 two our two facilities.

That is basically it as far as our operations are concerned. As I said.. no rent, no salaries, no expense accounts. Really cut and dry...

But I can't ever get our 990 to balance.

Several questions.

We have two orphanage facilities and consequently in the States we have to bank accounts. One is our parent account and the other has the same name but is XXXXXXXX - Auxilary Account.

We do this because some donors want to donate to one of our facilities and some to the other. On the donor/receiving end this is really simple.

At the end of the year however, I have to prepare the 990 using the figures from both accounts. (two quickbooks files) Both files are set up the exact way with "Chart of Accounts" etc. etc. being the same. The question here is this. Is there a way to take both files and combine them to generate single reports for the reports needed?

I just ordered the book by that lady for Non Profits from Amazon.. can't remember what it was called) but I hope to get this problem brought to conclusion.

Any suggestions or advise anyone can afford will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:57 PM

If merging the reports will help ... take a look at http://www.q2q.us/ - they have a Report Combiner tool that you can send reports from both company files to and create 1 report.

Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Visit us at: www.Consulting4qb.com
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 AM

Major Delima

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at what they offer and I think you are right about the Report Combiner. First things first however... <smile>

Well.. after struggling and struggling with our 2008 990 (EZ) I finally sent it off not knowing if it is accurate or not. I know. Sounds like I am really missing some main sections in the brain matter... but maybe after you hear this you won't think so.

I decided to spend some time learning why I was having so many problems with the 990 so I started with last years closing balance, and used this years first two days to see if with that small amount of information I could easily get my 990 to balance out.

So... last years closing balance plus the current bank balance as of closing 1/2/2009 plus four credit transactions and nine debit transactions. In reality there are only four credit transactions and nine debit transactions during the two day time period but I cannot seem to generate any kind of report that will give me the information to use... (incidentally, manually plugging these numbers into a blank 990 EZ balances out just fine. It's when I generate reports that I get inaccurate information.)

ftp://www.homeofhope.org/daxiong.org/990_Learning_1.jpg

is a link to a .jpg screen capture file showing my register and

ftp://www.homeofhope.org/daxiong.org/990_Learning_2.jpg shows the report that is generated.

If you look at these two screen shots you will see that there are three transaction that are not showing up in the expenses report and I have tried every kind of filter imaginable and I just can't get them to come up.

Imagine if this problem is spread over a whole year, the kind of havoc it will bring me.

Someone please help?????? <begging>

Once I get this part working I plan on doing the whole exercise again with the entire month of January 2009. Then grow out from there until I get everything correct. I really think there is something amiss with my reports (I'm sure it's operator error) as I know the register is correct.... It balances with the Bank Statements.

If you elect to help and wish to view the screen shots please send me an e-mail or PM or a message on Skype so I can give you the user name and password to access the FTP site.

I don't know how else to do this because each screen shot is about 1 MB and that's too large for an attachment to this post.

Deepest Thanks!

The Oowf

Last edited by oowf; 06-15-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 AM

I doubt if the book (Running QB in Nonprofits) is going to tell you how to create a single 990 for two company files. Your solution is to run one company file and separate the transactions using Classes (explained in the book).
Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 AM

I understand

I sure do understand what you are saying and Thank You for your response to my dilemmas.

The problem is this. We currently have two facilities in China. We have found over time that some people like to donate to one facility and others like to donate to the other facility.

As I think I mentioned before, we have two bank accounts in the States (same bank) with one bank being dedicated to the one facility and the other account being used for the other account. To compound that we are building our third and soon there will be three accounts.

The reason for this setup is this. We have very little functional operation in the States. Donations come in earmarked for one or other of the orphanages and they are deposited into the appropriate account.

One could ask why we have this "split" like this. The reason is we have an American administrator at each location and the accounting entries are made at the local facility.

We have a trusted volunteer that collects our mail in the States, makes the appropriate deposits and then sends each facility in China a spread sheet with the details of the donations for the day via e-mail. At that point each facility records the donations received via "Sales Receipts" as undeposited funds. Then when the actual deposit hits the bank (also monitored daily via the web) the appropriate undeposited funds are shown as deposited so our bank activies always match our QB accounting. There is no way Facility A can know what Facility B is doing each day so to forgo confusion we have the two accounts..

In other words each day the administrator at facility A records the funds that come in for Facility A and sends the donors a receipt with a Thank You letter. We also feel it is important that the Thank You letters and pictures come directly from the facility. It gives the donor a feeling of being much closer to the actual operation than if all his/her communication came from the States.

Then as Facility A needs operating funds, the local administrator transfers the US Dollars from the appropriate account in the States to China for dedicated use by Facility A. Facility B is handled the same way.

At the end of the year Facility A and Facility B's accounting is combined and a single 990 is generated for our entire operation.

The reason I mentioned combining the two at reporting time is so I can let QB generate the necessary reports for the entire operation. To date (over ten years) we have never had problems with keeping our accounting ledgers and our bank accounts totally in balance. But for some reason I can't get accurate reports generated and it seems so bizarre to me in that our system is fairly cut and dry. We have no physical assets (we do have but they belong to the Chinese side of the business which is simply funded by our foundation and once funds are transferred from our foundation in the States to the Chinese orphanage, the funds are monitored and controlled by Chinese law.) We have no loans. We have no salaries. It's basically a cut and dried system with funds coming in and 100% of those funds going out (as needed) as donated funds to orphanages. Consequently and due to the non complex nature of our accounting, one would think it would be a simple thing to get accurate reports but it never happens.

You can look at one of my other posts and see how something as simple as doing a sample 990 EZ for the first two days of the year is not working right. There are figures that don't show up in any reports.

Aya...

Ok.. enough rambling for now..

Thank you for your help.. Makes me feel we are not all alone in the forsaken place! <grin>

Cheers!

The Oowf
Old 06-16-2009, 05:11 AM

I'm sorry but I still don't understand the need for separate company files to cover separate bank accounts. Many of our nonprofit clients have multiple bank accounts, it just means that when they record deposits and write checks they have to make sure they're using the right bank account - but it's all in one file.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM

I suppose I am not explaining things correctly.

Two locations. Two site administrators. Each handles their own reporting... income and expenses. We are half way across China from each other.

How could we both post to the same file? That is the basic reason for the two files. If there is a better way to do this I would love to know what it is and would appreciate it immensely!

I am quite sure I understand the theory of one file and two classes to keep the two locations separate. But how to overcome the two location senario and the distance?

Last edited by oowf; 06-16-2009 at 08:46 AM.