Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 01-03-2018, 10:56 PM

Choose a vendor when using A/P

I'm getting an error message on a transaction that includes a debit to accounts payable.

"Please choose a vendor when using an accounts payable account as a line item."

I am using a vendor as the payee on the transaction.

This is a year-end property tax payment. The payee is the tax collector, who is in my vendor list.

The transaction involves a debit to property tax expense for the December portion of the tax and a debit to property taxes payable for the expenses recorded from January through November. The credit is to cash.

Why is QB rejecting the transaction?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 AM

IN QB, a/p, a/r, sales tax payable, and inventory asset are all summing accounts, you do not post to them. Think of the vendor name as the a/p sub account.

If you entered the tax bill (which creates the payable), bring up pay bills, select the bill and the bank to pay it from and use the property tax expense account, save.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM

I've been journaling a monthly share of the expense and the payable all year. Entering those transactions never gave me any trouble. So I already have a payable before receiving the tax bill.

I am using a sub account, property taxes payable. And I did it this way last year, without a problem. Was there a software update that changed the handling of A/P?

I understand what you're telling me, but it would mean I can't spread the tax expense by month and I have to take out all those journal entries.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM

To move the amount from the prop tax liab to A/P, you need to perform an "enter bill" routine. You enter bill of County Tax Collector as a debit to the prop tax liab (and Dec portion of expense). QB will now allow you to pay the bill.

On your monthly J/E, you might be referencing County Tax Collector as the "vendor," but that will not put it into A/P.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:09 AM

I missed this statement ealier

"Please choose a vendor when using an accounts payable account as a line item."

QB does not relate to the payee in a/p or a/r transactions, on the line item line you have a name column, in some places it is called customer name, even so the vendor names also show there - try selecting the name n that column