Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Adding bank balance to reports

I would like to be able to add the beginning bank balance and an ending bank balance to the Statement of Financial Income and Expenses, a budget column and a variance column so I can just produce all of my financial reports out of QB.

Last FY I printed a report that I modified called a Budget Summary Report and enter that into an Excel spreadsheet that had tons of formulas to keep everything balanced. I would really just like to make it an easy process by producing the one report and then distribute it to my Board. I've attached a screenshot of what my Board is used to seeing. It should not be that hard to add two columns to the report and the beginning and ending bank balance but I have learned that it is hard to do. I tried to use another "canned" report but it is not showing anything budgeted for the month even thought I do have the budget set up correctly in QB.

TIA for any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: png Report.png (11.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:41 PM

To put my point in for-profit terminology, one cannot mix Balance Sheet elements with Profit and Loss elements in the same QuickBooks report.

Note: I know that, strictly speaking, the Balance Sheet does have one element from the Profit and loss -- namely, the total change in net assets (i.e., the total profit loss in for-profit speak) -- is included in the equity section of the balance sheet.

Recommendation: Since you are exporting to Excel anyway to get your report to the board in something close to not-for-profit format, just add three lines to the Excel report:
  • Beginning bank balances
  • Ending bank balances
  • Change in bank balances

You may also want to look at one of the cash flow statements that QuickBooks has to see if one of those is close to what you want. The last three lines typically are something like:
  • Net cash increase (Decrease) for period
  • Cash at beginning of period
  • Cash at end of period

You may want to get familiar with a statement of cash flow since that is one of the three statements mandated by GAAP for inclusion in external financial statements.

Last edited by Lorin Browning; 08-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.