Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > Other QuickBooks Forums > Suggestion Box

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Angry Three - Sales Orders, Multi-Curr, Consolidation

Our business, in the high tech industry, receives Purchase Orders from our customers with software development and subscriptions. Both of these items require recording a Sales Order with multiple line items, with multiple delivery dates. The development project requires invoices for progress payments, and the subscriptions require annual billing. Both are necessary for analyzing future revenue streams. (PENDING INVOICES DO NOT WORK).

Since this business also includes customers in Europe, Multi-Currency is required. The world is moving to Euro's and Dollars. The Sales Orders, Invoices, AP, all require multiple currency. The Balance Sheet and P/L does not.

For several financial reasons, it makes sense to create multiple companies within a single business. Whether it is for Leasing Real Estate, consolidation of Payroll and HR, or other reasons to balance risk, and therefore, when creating a Balance Sheet or P/L, consolidate statements are required. (I am aware of a third party Consolidated Reporter program, but would prefer it remain within the Quickbooks product)

The Quickbooks shortfall on these three items, gives management enough concern to examine PeachTree and Microsoft Accounting. I prefer to simply see Qickbooks improved with these three features.

If you prefer, I can list each one as a thread.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM

If I read this correctly you need QuickBooks with built in

Multi-currency
Ability to consolidate multiple files.

My guess is that you will see this in QB 2009 Enterprise.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 PM

Though not the full solution to the problems you mention, our company has a product called FormCalc for QuickBooks which addresses the multi-currency issue.

(FormCalc is a general package for doing a variety of calculations on QuickBooks forms, but the rest of this post relates only to the multi-currency solution.)

A year ago we were contacted by QuickBooks resellers in Cyprus who requested enhancements to allow FormCalc to solve this specific multi-currency problem: during the change-over from Cypriot Pounds to Euros, businesses in Cyprus are required by law to show invoiced amounts in both currencies. (As in your situation, they didn't need balance sheet information in two currencies, just invoice information.)

We made the requested enhancements and, to date, have sold more copies of FormCalc in Cyprus than in any one U.S. state!

Here's an image-rich case study example dealing with the multi-currency solution using FormCalc: Currency exchange rate calculations with FormCalc (go to http://www.goflagship.com/products/fcProbSolv5.htm).

We also have videos of general FormCalc setup and use available on FormCalc's home page (http://www.goflagship.com/products/fchome.htm). Scroll down about half-way; you'll find video links there.

If you have questions please visit www.goflagship.com, or email us at info@goflagship.com.

Mark Wilsdorf
Flagship Technologies, Inc.
QuickBooks™ Add-Ons and Solutions You Can Use
http://www.goflagship.com
Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 PM

To repeat:

1. Need to be able to consolidate multiple companies (files) to produce a Balance Sheet, P/L, and Cash Flow of the consolidated data.

2. Need to create Quotes/Sales Orders/Invoices in two currencies (Euro/Dollar) with the Dollar as the business unit.

3. Need to be able to use Sales Orders to record a customer order for shipment at a future date with multiple line items. The open orders would then be used for Revenue projections and Cash Flow. Of course, an Alert system would be needed to identify Sales Orders that are due for conversion to Invoices. (In our case, there are two products - Development work with payment due as tasks are completed, and subscription service based on monthly, quarterly or annual renewals.

These are needed to implement a International company with multiple business units to support Development projects and subscriptions.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:10 PM

That might be asking a lot (especially your #3) of a $200.00 program. There are other accounting applications that can do all of that and more - this is a matter of selecting the right tool for the job.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 PM

What about Quickbooks Premier? I noticed there is no Forum for Premier, so I cannot ask the question to see if these are available, since they are not available in the Pro version.

What version would people use if they need to record subscriptions that are to be billed on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Hello. I work for a company that created a software that CONSOLIDATES info from multiple QB files and creates really good reports, dashboards and graphics. QB Files can be PRO, PREMIER and/or ENTERPRISE. I'm sure this can help you !!

If you are interested, go to www.GaussSoft.com
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Great job with the info. How did you find it? Please let me know.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM

None of the consolidation add-ons I found would correctly account for inter-company trade. I.e. deduct income and COGS from the group total.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 AM

This thread was started in 2007. My guess is that they have found a solution.