Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Pay bill with credits not working

I am using Quickbooks Pro 2010. When I use vendor credits to pay bills, whether to have a zero balance on the bill or leave an amount to pay, the credit reappears and is re-usable for another bill. The number and dollar amount of credits available remains the same. The balance owing the vendor has not changed either.
When I look at the history of the credit, I see that it as used to pay some on 4 bills, then used again.
For example, I have a credit which was originally $266.40. I paid 4 bills to zero the credit. Then I was able to use the credit again to pay another bill for $201.76.

The balance on the credit is now $-210.76.

The bill is not marked paid either but a history shows the credit applied left a zero balance.

Is there a work-around? Thank you!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 AM

I've never seen anything like that before

What should have happened is you enter the bill, then you use pay bills, select the bill, click apply credits, and if you are not using the full amount, click in the amount to use and enter the amount, then click apply.

At that time the bill listed in bill pay should show a smaller amount due - does it
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM

I have looked at it carefully, taking notes on a spreadsheet.
I did pay 2 bills in full with credit and cash - that worked properly. By the way, I used the same credit twice taking the full amount available on the credit.

Then I paid bills in full with parts of a credit only - didn't work.
The bills are still on the 'Pay Bills' list although if I do a history on the bills they show the credit applied and balance zero.

I then paid one of the same bills (still on the list) twice with cash only. The cash available to pay came down by the correct amount but the bill is still on the list. The balance due the vendor was reduced as well - twice by each payment.
The number of credits available is now up one and by the amount of the duplicate cash payment I made.

As far as the crazy credits go - I managed to use one 5 times. It originally was $266.40 and now is -$915.81.

As this is such as mess! I am trying different things with a backup copy until I get this sorted out!

Any help is most appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Enterprise gave us some fits, too

We use Enterprise 17. A similar glitch affected us, as well.
A vendor gave us $18k (three separate credit invoices) of credits to use against future bills.
Instructed my A/P staff to ignore using the credits until the vendor presented us with invoices sufficient to utilize the entire $18k at one time.
In other words, just allow the vendor's A/P to grow.
He forgot about this tactic and accidentally applied $7k to some invoices.
Big mistake.
He went back and reversed his payment selections, but QB automatically combined the ENTIRE $18K as a net-out. (Debit balance owed of $11k, for example.)
This went on for several weeks, requiring him to deselect processing for our weekly vendor payment selections.
Not sure it ever properly displayed on our reports, even to this day.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:10 AM

Well this sure is a mess! Having credits that have been used up available to reuse will make it very tedious to keep track of properly. I have a lot too! Any suggestions on how to remove them from the 'Pay Bill' available credits list?

Thank you.