Advertise    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 05:22 PM

Exclude MARKUP on invoice?

I am an accountant and have a client that is a high end race car fabricator/repairer. I am just setting up their QB, and am leaning in the direction of NOT tracking inventory items; too technical for them to handle and too many component cost issues. I understand that at year-end IRS requires some estimation of inventory.
I would like to identify customer costs as vendor bills are entered and assign to specific customer. I am also using time tracking for owner and shop labor, assigning by customer.
MY COMPLAINT, is that I cannot figure out how NOT to include the markup of costs on the customer invoice. Hopefully this is an easy click somewhere. I can't imagine that INTUIT requires QB users to show their markup on invoices.
I appreciate everyones help.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:14 AM

I can't find any method of getting the markup onto the invoice screen or print.
Sure you're not using estimates rather than invoices?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:12 AM

Angry Hide markup % on invoice

Paul:
I have been trying to figure out the best way to handle these job costs in QB Pro 2002 for a day now. I am supposed to set it up at a client today!
I am sure I'm not using an Estimate. I am using an invoice. I have assigned a job cost (expense item) to a vendor check. I have prepared an invoice for a customer, and I want to markup the job cost say 20%. I have selected the time/costs button and the expense tab and asked for a 20% markup on the job cost. No matter what I try, the cost and the 20% markup are showing on the invoice. How do I just get 120% of the expense to show on the invoice, and not show the customer the markup, which is bizarre to show the customer anyway.
Yes, I also, can plainly see that markup is NO WHERE on the print options for an invoice.
If you have time to play with this, I would deeply appreciate it.
Thank you for your posting,
Old 08-26-2003, 03:49 PM

Have been using various versions of QB since 1998 and trust me, the mark up will show on the invoice no matter what you do. The only way I have found around this is to go to the Expenses tab and change the amount to reflect the 20% markup (i.e., Expenses tab shows $55.00 dollars just change to $66.00 before carrying it to the Customer Invoice) Our company bills clients for blueprints, FedEx, etc associated with their projects and I have nearly driven myself crazy with this issue. The method I use does show a credit in the expense category from time to time but the accountant has never told me not to do it that way. Please let me know if you find a way to not show the markup on the customer invoices!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:36 AM

Unhappy mark up on invoice

Thanks for your reply. In working with the client on this, the client suggested another work around... Just select the expense at 0% markup and take to the invoice. Then use the calculator in QB to multiply by 1 + the markup on the face of the invoice. ( versus doing on a hand calculator) I'm glad to hear someone else had this problem, but disappointed in this presentation in QB.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:03 PM

I am glad to see this discussion in progress. Before reading this I thought that I must be overlooking something obvious that would remove the markup amount from an invoice that's being prepared for a customer.

Once again I find myself dismayed at what I perceive to be an ongoing lack of awareness on Intuit's part, about what things often need to look like when business people communicate with their customers.

I hope there is a simple way to do this that does not adversely affect entries. I'm not optimistic about this since the problem appears to have existed for years.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:11 AM

In the Time and Costs window just check the box titled "Print selected time and costs as one invoice item". You can see the mark-up on the screen, but not when you actually print the invoice.

Kelley
Old 05-12-2004, 11:02 AM

Kelly - I just tried that and it still puts the mark up on the invoice.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:26 AM

It works fine for me; Maybe we're not talking about the same thing; I'm using QB2003 version, how about you. Did you try printing the invoice?

Kelley
Old 05-12-2004, 12:02 PM

Kelly - I did print the invoice and I am using QBPro2002, perhaps that is the difference. Maybe they fixed that issue in 2003. Thanks for the info though as we are going to be forced to upgrade to 2004 so maybe I'll finally be able to print the invoices without showing the expenses mark up.