Advertise    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 AM

How can I view reports for all items purchased over a specified time range?

We are a scrap metal business and our "customers" who come in and sell us our scrap are technically our vendors. Whenever we purchase from a vendor, we create a Purchase Order, noting the metal type, quantity (pounds), and the price per pound. We have several years worth of data from these purchase orders and would like to get reports on our purchases. E.g. we want to see yearly data, monthly data, the year over year % change and month over month % change, and the % change from the previous year/month. We would like to pull a report for the month, listing each type of metal sorted in descending order on dollar amount.

I thought there was a way you could do this by going to Reports>Purchases>Purchases by Item Summary. However, when I do this, that report is blank. After doing some research, it seems that all of our purchase orders are still sitting there as open purchase orders and haven't been closed. This leads me to another question: Are we recording our point of sale (purchase) transactions properly? I.e. whenever a customer brings in metal and we pay them, should we just be filling out a purchase order or should we immediately be closing the purchase order to inventory? Is there a way to close each purchase order as we record the transaction and is this even the correct thing we should be doing?

I did go back and click the Close Purchase Order check box manually for about a week's worth of open purchase orders and then tried to run the Purchases by Item Summary report, but it remains blank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM

That report is only going to show Items that you paid for; either on a Bill or a Check. A Purchase Order is a commitment to buy something and is usually used to ask the Vendor to send you something and you promise to pay for it. Typically, when you Receive the items, you enter a Bill (or a check) against the PO. This is the actual Purchase Transaction that would appear on the report. Once a PO is fully received in this way, it is automatically marked as closed. However, manually marking a PO as closed will NOT cause the items to be "received" so the items will still not show on the report.

Question: If all you do is create the Purchase Order, how do you pay these people?

I don't think I would use a P.O. in this situation. I would enter the items directly on the Check transaction.

If you want to look at your existing data, you can look at one of the Open Purchase Order reports. But this is not going to combine with any entries you do "correctly" (as outlined above) in the future.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 PM

Thanks for your quick response. We usually pay customers cash unless they have a large amount in which case we pay by check. Since we do each transaction on the spot, we don't want to have to enter a purchase order and then have to enter a bill/receipt of items entry. We would like to just enter one entry when purchasing and paying for material. Should we instead be entering each transaction as a bill and skipping the purchase order altogether, since we pay cash we don't use the check entry?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM

To QuickBooks a 'check' is any payment from a 'bank' account. So paying in cash should be recorded as a check from your cash account.

So I would thing your best route is to record all your purchases as checks with the item detail.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK