Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 02-16-2003, 03:12 PM

Installment Sales

Does anybody have experience with tracking installment sales within QuickBooks?

The situation is a small school that has in the past generated a series of invoices based on an aggregate annual figure. This in my analysis is very awkward for them. They have misapplied a series of payments, which I know is a separate issue. I am looking at this from various prospectives to try to simplify as much as possible.

My current approach would be to generate one invoice at the being of the school year and apply payments to that invoice with follow up monthly historical statements.

Can anyone suggest other solutions?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:41 PM

I set up a small private school last year. They have a pricing structure that gives fee relief for hours worked and charges extra for not turning up at a working bee. They also have one family who pay in Barter. I set up the fees in a term structure for each family. These remain almost the same each term for the year. I then exported the Invoice transactions as an IIF file (sorry, but we could do it in Australia) and used this as the basis for the next term. I imported the file into an empty QuickBooks file, made the changes to the few that required alterations and exported the IIF file again. Then took it into the real file. Seems like a bit of work, but it was a lot easier than typing the whole thing in again. I see that you are starting to get utilities that can export transactions now. It might be worth having a look at doint it this way.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:25 AM

Smile

We generate estimates for our customers and bill them as we go. That way we run on a cash basis instead of accrual. We bill them only for the completed work. If you know what the total they will owe in the end is, this is not a bad way of managing it.