Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Can you assign a Class to Item in the Items List?

Is there a way to assign a Class to an Item in the Items List vs. one by one on the Invoice?

I've established groups of items for billing purposes and would very much like for it to go ahead and put them in their classes as well, but can't figure out how to do it or if it's possible?

Thank you,
Mary
Old 06-24-2009, 01:29 AM

You cannot assign the class in the item. You can edit the invoice template and add a column for the items and enter the class there.
What are you using class for? It is usually used to track things like different locations or parts of the business.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 PM

I was using classes because I wanted a report that nets out the profit/expense for certain groups *& projects for the booster club I'm working with.

So.. General Fundraisers is a group and one project in that grouping is Concessions
I want the Concessions Revenue line and the Concessions Expense line to net out and just show me the result on a report because thats one way the group prefers to look at their budget - in a net result view.

I have three separate "funds" that I'm tracking -
General Fundraising Efforts
General Expenses
Designated Funds

The only way I could figure out how to make the system do it was to use Classes and it did produce what I wanted to see.

I know I can pull these numbers easily and put them on an Excel report and get the same thing, I just was trying to figure out if the system could do it for me or if I needed to go another step into Excel.

What I needed now was a way to easily assign items to corresponding classes so that when I invoice my students (customers) at the beginning of the year in registration, I was hoping to avoid having to manually put a class with each of 12 items or so for 275 different kids. I grouped my items into certain groupings to make it easier to produce the invoices, but really wanted to have the system assign the class to each item instead of me.

Unfortunately, it appears, I'll have to do it manually to get what I want out at the end if I want to try to make the system report it.

Thansk for the answer though!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 AM

If the customers (students) are what you want to track the type of classes and fund raisers for, try using the Customer Type and then you can filter reports by the customer type.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 AM

Lightbulb

If each invoice only has the one class for all items listed, you can actually assign a single class to an entire invoice!!!!
If you've already got your preferences setup to use Classes, then you should see a "Class" field at the top of your "Invoice" screen
(I've checked the template & it's not available to tick or untick for screen/print, but it seems to be automatically displayed if you're using the "Class Tracking" feature)
Bookkeeper / Tax Consultant
Accounted 4 Bookkeeping Services

Email: shazinoz@digisurf.com.au / shaz@accounted4bs.com
Web: www.accounted4bs.com