View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 07:54 PM

I have now done much of what you have suggested but I still have a few questions.

First off, I no longer have employees with multiple payroll records. In the earnings screen of their payroll record, I have the annual rate listed for the salary position and the hourly rate for the hourly position(s). The pay period selected is set to "semimonthly" - otherwise, it won't calculate correctly when I create a salary payroll check.

On the other hand, though, when I create an hourly payroll check, and I get to the "preview paycheck" screen, I find that I have to replace the salary figure with a zero in the earnings section on the salary payroll line or else it is automatically computed into the check even if I write 0 hours on that line. Is this the correct way to do this? I write salary checks at different times of the month than I do hourly. Or should I start to write their entire check all at once now (including both their hourly and salary wages)?

I am still doing 2002 payroll in my old software program - I went live with everything else as of July 1, 2002. Currently, the old software is doing my 941's and will do the W2's at the end of this year. I have subscribed to the basic payroll service with Quickbooks but I don't intend to go live with payroll until January 1, 2003 - no historical payroll records need to entered then.

I did not set up the payroll software that I am using now for payroll. It seems to do things in an entirely different manner than what Quickbooks does. I am running "test payrolls" based on actual figures and comparing account totals, etc. to see if things are doing what they should be doing. As soon as I get that down, I'll run test 941s and test W2s. A long process and only 2 monthes before my deadline.

Thank you very much for your help!