Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow quickbooks multiuser

Hi

Firstly let me start by saying i am no way a quickbooks expert, infact im quite the opposit! i spend my time installing networks for small businesses but have found myself with a customer with a major QB problem.

i have a customer with quickbooks 2008 Pro 5-users. They have a lot of data in their database and the system is very slow. the server is a new 2008 server with 12GB RAM and a RAID 10 array - i cant see it being the server.

the QBW file is 910MB.

the total size of the QB file share is 3.9GB

the install was done by someone else not me.

The customer has been told it is caused by the amount of data in the quickbooks database.

i have also been told by others its the size of the data file and have been told to do the following
    A. make a new data file
    B. condense / archive the current file using the clean up utility but my issue is there is no option for it under the utilities menu.... ! Only verify and rebuild.

if i make a new data file i expect the customer will not have all their clients and suppliers etc in there,

can someone help me out a little here with bit more of an elaborate answer?

thanks!

Mike,

Yes, that's a pretty big file, and the file size is almost surely affecting performance and stability.

The archive/condense/clean up command really doesn't usually bring the file size down as much as people sometimes want, especially if the inventory part of QuickBooks is being used.

Options otherwise include:

1. Create a new company, export lists from the old and import into the new, enter balances and go forward. Or you can buy some 3rd party import/export tools to bring a lot of the transactions over. They work well for invoices and checks, not so well for payroll and inventory.

2. Get the data supercondensed. This process leaves the transactions alone but otherwise does housecleaning on the file and removes the audit trail. It commonly reduces the file size by 40-50%.

3. Get the company recreated. This is a turnkey custom data service that starts a new company, brings over your lists and all your current and pending transactions, and is all done without any downtime on your side. You end up with the smallest possible data file that is still "complete" for current data.

Leaving it as is is not only slow, but chances are the data will incur either major or minor data corruption issues. Will the file verify as it is now?
    Shannon Tucker
    email: tucker at accountingusers.com

Comment

Windows

Originally posted by Shannon Tucker View Post
      Mike,

Leaving it as is is not only slow, but chances are the data will incur either major or minor data corruption issues. Will the file verify as it is now?
      And these Window computers are supposed to be replacing mainframes!!!! Sheeessh
      Colorado Springs and Eastern Washington
      QB Pro 2018 used for two farms and personal

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon Tucker View Post
        Mike,

Yes, that's a pretty big file, and the file size is almost surely affecting performance and stability.

The archive/condense/clean up command really doesn't usually bring the file size down as much as people sometimes want, especially if the inventory part of QuickBooks is being used.

Options otherwise include:

1. Create a new company, export lists from the old and import into the new, enter balances and go forward. Or you can buy some 3rd party import/export tools to bring a lot of the transactions over. They work well for invoices and checks, not so well for payroll and inventory.

2. Get the data supercondensed. This process leaves the transactions alone but otherwise does housecleaning on the file and removes the audit trail. It commonly reduces the file size by 40-50%.

3. Get the company recreated. This is a turnkey custom data service that starts a new company, brings over your lists and all your current and pending transactions, and is all done without any downtime on your side. You end up with the smallest possible data file that is still "complete" for current data.

Hi Shannon

thanks very much for your helpful and detailed answer!

I guess supercondensing and also company recreation will be the best bet as they will be the least inconvenient to the customer. Do these have a high success rate?

The company has a lot of stock and quite a few staff so when you say not so well for payroll and inventory i guess this will be a total pain for them!!

Do you think supercondensing and recreation will be the best idea?

Thanks again

Michael

Comment

Michael,

Yes, probably one or the other. Supercondensing is less expensive and faster, and the success rate is high, but the results largely depend on how much room the audit trail takes up in the file. That's why we do a free analysis on the file up front to determine what is possible with supercondensing.

Recreating minimizes the file size and maximizes performance the most, and the good effects usually last a long time (years). Success rate is high. We do a free analysis and quote for recreating, because the time and effort it takes us to recreate depends on how many accounts and transactions of different kinds need to be retained in the recreated data.

Give me a call sometime and we can talk details.
          Shannon Tucker
          email: tucker at accountingusers.com

Comment

Working...
          X