PDA

View Full Version : How do I track investment account?

CherylK
02-18-2004, 01:16 PM
We have just switched from Quicken 2001 Basic to QuickBooks Pro 2000. We have a money market account (ultra short term fund) that I have been tracking in Quicken. So far I can't figure out a way to do so in QuickBooks.

It doesn't have investment accounts as a option, so we set it up as a bank account. That doesn't enable me to track the dividend reinvestments (price, shares, share balances, etc.) the way I can in Quicken.

One possible solution I've thought of is to continue using the Quicken program for this investment account and entering the relevant data in the QuickBooks bank account to enable including the income on my balance sheet reports in QuickBooks. But what amounts do I enter?

Anyone who knows of a solution, please let me know. I don't know if a QuickBooks upgrade would help, but the board of directors (of the small nonprofit organization I work for) hasn't okayed one anyway.

Thanks,
Cheryl

hartford
02-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi CherylK
Basically Quickbooks is not designed to track investments, whereas Quicken is.
Not sure if there is a US Quickbooks add-on that will do this but it will cost if there is.
Maybe running Quicken in parallel is the answer.
When I do investment accounting in Quickbooks I do the following:-
1) In the balance sheet set up each investment holding under "Other assets" each one as a sub-account with the main account being Investments. You can tailor this to suit your circumstances.
2) In the profit & loss account under "Other income" set up dividend (or interest) sub-accounts for each holding. Again with a main account would be say Dividend income.
3) You then enter actual purchases, actual sales, realised profits/losses and actual income. These entries feeding off the bank account, except realised profits/losses which need to be by journal.
4) If you have to carry your investments at market value in the balance sheet this will create more difficulty. Its best avoided with market values perhaps being shown by a Quicken report.

CherylK
02-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I especially like the idea of tracking and printing reports on the investment account in Quicken.

Cheryl

KeesW
05-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Asonishing that a program such as Quickbooks doesn't handle investments. 'Interest' only appears once in the help menu. What sort of business does Quicken think it's customers are running - surely investments are an integral part of many businesses. Isn't Quicken just a little embarrased about this?

lisa_mn
05-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Most of my small business clients have barely enough cash and oodles of debt, so investment tracking is the last thing on their minds.