PDA

View Full Version : sharing data files long distance

vince
01-25-2002, 12:44 PM
I have a small business which has it's office in one city and I have my home in another city.

I am trying to setup Quickbooks so that I can access the data file from my home computer and from the office computers. At the moment, the only way I know to accomplish this is to backup the datafile to a disk and take it home, restore it on my home computer and then use it. Back it up again when finished and take it back to the office and repeat. Using the backup and restore method creates many problems. For example when I "have the file" no one at the office can make updates or write checks, etc. when they "have the file" I cannot make updates, or write checks, etc.

I would like to set up my home computer so it can access the file directly off of the computer in the office, or vice versa or have both the home computer and the office computer access the files from some third location perhaps on the internet.

At the moment it appears that storing the data file on the internet would work, but I don't know if quickbooks can read it and update it.

Any suggestions?

V.

minorcan
01-25-2002, 03:18 PM
The easiest way to do what you want is with pcAnywhere. With pcAnywhere, you can access a remote pc (the one at the office) using a direct connection, by dialing in to it, or over the internet. That way, the data file stays at the office, and you connect to the office computer and operate it remotely. Only screen and keyboard information is passed between the two pc's, so this will most likely seem like the "fastest" way.

Or, you could invest in a good router that has vpn capability, connect through the internet, and your office LAN will see you as a local node. This requires a dedicated internet connection at the office, is more technical (difficult) to set up, and the speed of the connection may leave something to be desired.

Or, the most complicated method (and slowest) is if you have a machine at the office that is capable of RAS (Remote Access Service. WIN2K Pro machines and NT servers can do it.), you can add a modem and dial in directly to your network. This is the most secure method, but it is also the slowest, since the data files get passed back and forth through the modems.

Hope this helps...

SunSoft
01-25-2002, 03:21 PM
Another good one to use is LapLink. I live in Vermont and access data on computers in Connecticut, it's done through a simple dial up where my computer dials the other, can also be set up other ways.

marxmail
01-29-2002, 09:22 PM
Our office has used PC Anywhere for 2 years for remote users. Works great. We find it quicker to use it via internet then dial up.