PDA

View Full Version : Printing w_2's on single page

jdd
01-16-2002, 01:42 PM
I am having trouble printing my W-2's. I am using single sheet page oriented. 2 W-2's per page. However, when I actually go to print them, it prints an employee correctly on the top. On the next w_2 or bottom, it prints the employee's name and address again. Therefore, for 12 employees, it is using 12 pages and it should be using only six. Each employee is using a page, and the bottom half of the page is the same as the top half except there are no figures, just the name and address of the employee....anybody encountering this. I have R5P release...I have loaded the new tax tables....I have checked all my printer set up settings. My 1099's work correctly...but the W-2's are not working...

johnm
01-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Let me know if this helps. I think you need to update your program. I received the following email in December:

The QuickBooks maintenance release (R8 for QuickBooks 2000; R5 for QuickBooks 2001) and the latest tax table are now available for you to download. By downloading both the maintenance release and latest tax table, you will be able to print your W-2 and W-3 forms using the 2001 formats. The maintenance release also provides the printing format for the
new Form 1099-MISC. The latest tax table includes updates to support W-2 and W-3 form changes. We recommend that you complete the steps below immediately.

IMPORTANT: ONCE THIS MAINTENANCE RELEASE IS INSTALLED, QUICKBOOKS WILL ONLY PRINT FORMS W-2, W-3, AND 1099-MISC IN THE NEW 2001 FORMATS. Please note that you will no longer be able to view and/or print W-2, W-3, and 1099-MISC forms from tax filing years prior to 2001.

IF YOU HAVE ONLY ONE VERSION OF QUICKBOOKS INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER:
Step 1: Print this e-mail.
Step 2: Open QuickBooks and a data file.
Step 3: From the FILE menu, choose UPDATE QUICKBOOKS. Then click the UPDATE button, and then click the GET UPDATES button. Make sure that MAINTENANCE RELEASE is checkmarked. QuickBooks will download the maintenance release.*
Step 4: From the EMPLOYEES menu, choose GET PAYROLL UPDATES. YOU MUST HAVE TAX TABLE 20108 OR HIGHER. If you do not have Tax Table 20108 or higher, click the UPDATE button. QuickBooks will download the latest tax table.
Step 5: Exit QuickBooks and restart your computer.

IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF QUICKBOOKS INSTALLED ON THE SAME COMPUTER:
Step 1: Print this e-mail.
Step 2: Open QuickBooks and a data file.
Step 3: Download the maintenance release* at
http://quickbooks.com/support/updates.html.
Step 4: From the Web site, click on the appropriate QuickBooks version, either 2000 or 2001.
Step 5: Click A MANUAL UPDATE Web link and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 6: From the EMPLOYEES menu, choose GET PAYROLL UPDATES. YOU MUST HAVE TAX TABLE 20108 OR HIGHER. If you do not have Tax Table 20108 or higher, click the UPDATE button. QuickBooks will download the latest tax table.
Step 6: Exit QuickBooks and restart your computer.

Now you are ready to print forms W-2, W-3, and 1099-MISC in the new formats, plus you have the latest tax table update!

For up-to-date information to frequently asked questions about the new tax form changes, go to www.payroll.com/w2.

jdd
01-21-2002, 11:27 AM
I am up to date on all maintenance releases and tax tables. But the W-2's still didn't want to print two to a page. After playing with it for a few hours or so, I noticed that the second W-2 for the employee was only printing the name/address and two lines of local taxes...no numbers. I looked at the original w-2 and noticed that my local taxes had four lines instead of two. After manually deleting the two last lines of local tax...they began to print two to a page. don't ask me how this happened...I only have two payroll items set up for local tax, but it printed four...two with numbers and the other two lines only had the name of the municipality on it. Once deleted, they started to work.

Thanks for your response!!!