PDA

View Full Version : Manual Payroll (with a tax table)

jimward
03-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Has anyone figured out how to use QuickBooks payroll items for taxes without signing up for the Payroll services AND without entering the tax amounts for each paycheck?

The employees I pay are mostly on salary, so the withholding doesn't change by paycheck.

I've avoided using the QuickBooks payroll items and have created my own payroll items for the withholding and other taxes. Now I don't have to manually do the taxes every time, but I do have to use an external spreadsheet to compute the 941 deposits and the W-2 and 1099 forms.

With all of the talk about QuickBooks shutting down or compromising my abiliity to do payroll MY way, I'm afraid to use the built-in payroll tax items.

tricia
03-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Actually Jim, the QB payroll service is a blessing in disguise. I used to do everything the way you are now in fear of "the system". I reluctantly signed up at the beginning of last year and my dreaded payroll days couldn't be any easier. They are extremely accurate, they take care of all the taxes and even deposit the money directly into my employees' accounts with the push of a button. The cost of the service is minimal compared to the time it has freed me up to get additional work done. Think about it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

bright_ideas
03-26-2003, 11:14 AM
I agree with Tricia, sometimes I think people forget the simplicity that software programs like Quickbooks provide. Often times I think that people expect their programs to do everything including the dishes. And do it for free.

If you set up your payroll the way it is meant to be used, and pay the minimum monthly fee for the update program, in all accounts everything should run smoothly. You will be happy at year end when all your payroll taxes have been remitted properly and all your tax forms print out with out any fussing or adjusting.

Like Tricia, I too remit payroll with direct deposit and I do all my taxes on line, it has never been easier.

And remember "the computer and the software is only as good as its user".

jimward
03-26-2003, 03:22 PM
I appreciate that QuickBooks Payroll service has done a lot for you and it's worth it to you.

But I've only got four to six employees. One is a Pastor, so there's no FICA nor Medicare tax and his withholding is funny (not from the table). One or two are nursery workers who don't make enough for withholding anyway.

The ONLY time I need to change withholding is when the government sends me a new tax book. I pay state tax quarterly. Federal payroll tax check monthly with 941 Telefile quarterly.

The bank charges me $15 per month for on-line banking (of course, now I've got to upgrade from QuickBooks 2000 to 2003 to keep that up so there's another $180).

I'm not going to pay $170 per year for little value. I just wish Intuit would let me use the features built-in to QuickBooks to get W-2 and 941 done the right way and let me do the tiny bit of extra work to update the tables. Manual updates are fine because they happen so seldom and I need such small parts of the table. It's MY church's risk. Let US take it.

The QuickBooks manual method strips out any remembering of the taxes. All I really need is to remember the withholding I used last and calculate the stuff that's based on percentages. Is that too much to ask? I just want to keep it simple.

If I had money to spend, I'd rather get high-speed Internet at the church rather than Payroll service. Or some new sound equipment or stage lights.

sjescher
06-22-2003, 12:57 PM
There is a manual option mentioned in QB. Go through the payroll signup, but don't enter your credit card info (says QB) and you'll get a one-time payroll tax table, good for one year.

My question is, how to use this one-time update for more than one company. QB keeps asking for the credit card info when I try to set up another company with the already downloaded tax table.

sjescher
06-22-2003, 09:50 PM
One method I used to enter federal and state tax amounts (that didn't change from one paycheck to another) was to fill in the "extra withholding amount" box with the unchanging amount of tax. Since QB does not calculate tax for outdated tax tables, the "extra withholding" then becomes the exact amount of tax to be withheld.

joyce_soho
06-24-2003, 05:33 PM
You didn't say which version you are using. In QB2002, click on Help at the top menu bar and then on Help & Support. Click on Payroll and Employees on the left side. Under the section Use Payroll Services, click on the link that says: Doing Payroll Without a Payroll Service and it will tell you how to do this without using the tax table service.
for QB2001:
In the Employees window,click on "Learn about Payroll Options" and the "Choose a Payroll Option" window appears.
Click on 'Learn More about Basic Payroll' and the "Basic Payroll" window appears listing features.
Scroll to the bottom of this window. Look for a highlighted line that says "I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes" CLICK IT. The window will close.
Now open your employees window again and click on 'Pay Employees' It will ask if you want to set up YTD amounts.
From this point, you can create paychecks. You will have to use your own tax tables or calculations and enter them in the paycheck detail area, but the program will maintain the running totals and allow you to pay liabilities.
for QB2000:
To calculate payroll taxes on your own, go to the Employee menu, choose Set Up Payroll Services, then Learn About Payroll Service.
A new screen will appear. Choose Manual Calculations from the menu at the top of the window. Now click, " I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes."

From now on, you'll no longer be prompted to sign up for the Internet Payroll Service. On the flip side, you'll have to calculate and enter payroll taxes on your own. And fill out your own tax reports. But you'll be able to use the Payroll reports to help you do this.
One poster said they created aTo Do Note in QB to enter all the payroll tax rates and limits they needed to do payroll and opened that when doing the payroll to make it easier to remember the rates.

http://www.quickbooks.com/support/faqs/qbw2003/128909.html

Title Manually calculating payroll
KB ID#: 128909
Categories: Payroll

Question: How do I manually calculate my payroll? Version 2003

Possible
Cause: QuickBooks requires subscription to a payroll service to automatically calculate payroll taxes.

Answer: If you choose not to use one of the QuickBooks payroll services, follow the steps below to manually calculate payroll:

From the QuickBooks Employees menu, choose Payroll Services, and then choose Set Up Payroll.
Click the Choose a payroll option link.
Next to the sentence "If you don't want to use an Intuit Payroll Service, you can still use QuickBooks to prepare your payroll," click Learn more.
Click I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes.
Click Continue and QuickBooks will guide you through setting up your payroll information.
From now on, each time you create a paycheck, you will need to manually input taxes and other payroll information.

If you only have a few employees and they are paid the same amounts each time then doing your own payroll would be a snap and only take a minute or two to enter the payroll taxes. You would have to keep a watch on the year to date numbers to make sure you haven't reached any limits yet so as not to over deduct taxes, but that is quickly seen in the lower right section of the Create Paycheck screen. If you let QB set up all the payroll accounts and use them correctly, then all reports are already done for you and you won't have to calulate tax payments. I would advise on exporting the payroll info to Excel each payday so that you have these on file in case the data gets corrupted or something like that. But usually the only problems with payroll is the tax table downloads and updates. And you aren't using them so I don't think you have to worry about using the correct payroll procedures and accounts in this program.
There is even a web site that can help you calculate the payroll taxes on each check. See this link:
You didn't say which version you are using. In QB2002, click on Help at the top menu bar and then on Help & Support. Click on Payroll and Employees on the left side. Under the section Use Payroll Services, click on the link that says: Doing Payroll Without a Payroll Service and it will tell you how to do this without using the tax table service.
for QB2001:
In the Employees window,click on "Learn about Payroll Options" and the "Choose a Payroll Option" window appears.
Click on 'Learn More about Basic Payroll' and the "Basic Payroll" window appears listing features.
Scroll to the bottom of this window. Look for a highlighted line that says "I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes" CLICK IT. The window will close.
Now open your employees window again and click on 'Pay Employees' It will ask if you want to set up YTD amounts.
From this point, you can create paychecks. You will have to use your own tax tables or calculations and enter them in the paycheck detail area, but the program will maintain the running totals and allow you to pay liabilities.
for QB2000:
To calculate payroll taxes on your own, go to the Employee menu, choose Set Up Payroll Services, then Learn About Payroll Service.
A new screen will appear. Choose Manual Calculations from the menu at the top of the window. Now click, " I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes."

From now on, you'll no longer be prompted to sign up for the Internet Payroll Service. On the flip side, you'll have to calculate and enter payroll taxes on your own. And fill out your own tax reports. But you'll be able to use the Payroll reports to help you do this.

*****One poster said they created aTo Do Note in QB to enter all the payroll tax rates and limits they needed to do payroll and opened that when doing the payroll to make it easier to remember the rates. You could even enter the employee's actual withholding if the same each check and then you wouldn't have to look it up or calculate it each time.

http://www.quickbooks.com/support/faqs/qbw2003/128909.html

Title Manually calculating payroll
KB ID#: 128909
Categories: Payroll

Question: How do I manually calculate my payroll? Version 2003

Possible
Cause: QuickBooks requires subscription to a payroll service to automatically calculate payroll taxes.

Answer: If you choose not to use one of the QuickBooks payroll services, follow the steps below to manually calculate payroll:

From the QuickBooks Employees menu, choose Payroll Services, and then choose Set Up Payroll.
Click the Choose a payroll option link.
Next to the sentence "If you don't want to use an Intuit Payroll Service, you can still use QuickBooks to prepare your payroll," click Learn more.
Click I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes.
Click Continue and QuickBooks will guide you through setting up your payroll information.
From now on, each time you create a paycheck, you will need to manually input taxes and other payroll information.

If you only have a few employees and they are paid the same amounts each time then doing your own payroll would be a snap and only take a minute or two to enter the payroll taxes. You would have to keep a watch on the year to date numbers to make sure you haven't reached any limits yet so as not to over deduct taxes, but that is quickly seen in the lower right section of the Create Paycheck screen. If you let QB set up all the payroll accounts and use them correctly, then all reports are already done for you and you won't have to calulate tax payments. I would advise on exporting the payroll info to Excel each payday so that you have these on file in case the data gets corrupted or something like that. But usually the only problems with payroll is the tax table downloads and updates. And you aren't using them so I don't think you have to worry about using the correct payroll procedures and accounts in this program.
There is even a web site that can help you calculate the payroll taxes on each check. See this link:
http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpaycalc/netpaycalculator.asp

jimward
06-26-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm using QB Pro 2003 (forced upgrade for electronic banking).

The manual method spelled out in joyce_soho's reply would work, but I don't see why I've got to manually calculate anything. I want QB to remember the payroll tax withholding that I last used for that employee and calculate the simple percentages (that I enter) for FICA and Medicare. Is that so hard?

Frankly, I DON'T TRUST QB to do the right thing. Now isn't that a kicker. Because QB is going to shut me out of certain fields, or take command of them on its own, I'd rather stay away than trust.

What does it say about your accounting program if you don't trust it?

I set up my own tax items so I know exactly what the calculation is based on. Then I do my quarterly reports in an Excel spreadsheet.

tugboatjulie
07-10-2003, 10:41 PM
I enter the amounts in qb manually each time since there's only one person on our payroll; it's not worth it for us to pay for the service either. I, of course, do that for the company section, too.
Then, I run the reports right on qb, and they come out correct each time! (If you need more specifics, let me know. You may have already figured it out by now, though.)