PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from old to new versions

bogilla
02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I'm trying to upgrade my version of quickbooks & load up my company backup, but, first some background.
I had been happily using my version 7.4 quickbooks, installed when I had to start accounting for GST. I am no accounting wiz, but, my accountant showed me how to get everything done that she needed with the software I had. I resisted Intuit's fairly aggressive promotions to upgrade as I was happy with what I had & didn't want to complicate my Biz life any more than it was. About 6 mths ago my software developed a bug that wouldn't allow me to register payments to my contractors. I could enter invoices but no pays.
I contacted Quicken & was advised predictably that they don't support the old versions anymore. They suggested I download the latest version of Quickbooks & this would allow me to continue on with my company backups. I downloaded the trial version & had no luck loading my company in - something to do with the wrong flavour. They then told me only Quickbooks plus would recognise my backup files. I downloaded this, again with no success & it was at this point that I stopped getting replies from Quicken.
I eventually gave up trying to contact them,but, in one last sweep through their website I found a reference to loading my backup into the 2003 version which would then be readable by the 06/07 version.
My problem is; the disk for my original version is corrupt (physically) & I can't re-install it (having uninstalled to downlaod the later versions) & I don't know where to get this as well as a 2003 version.
Apologies for the lengthy post, but, at the moment I'm not able to access any of my data for this & last financial year.
I've heard of freeware called Turbocash which is supposed to be compatible with Quicken, could this be the answer to my problem?
Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. Since joining th eforum I've read of a couple of others with similiar problems in upgrading & also lack of response from Quicken.

reuelt
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
"My problem is; the disk for my original version is corrupt (physically) & I can't re-install it (having uninstalled to downlaod the later versions) & I don't know where to get this as well as a 2003 version."

1. Are you in Melbourne, Australia?
2. Have you bought the latest version?

If you would buy or have bought latest QB Plus/Pro/premier versions, I may be be able to help.

(I still have QB 7.4Pro, QB 8.1Pro Ugd, convert9 (=2002Pro trial), Quickbook Premier 2004, Convert14, QB 2007/2008 premier trial, in electronic form) which I may be able to send you.

Alternately, I can do the conversion of your backup to newer pro/plus/premier version format for a (low) fee - but only if you are in Melbourne.

bogilla
02-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Reuelt
thx for your reply. I have got the 06/07 version humming away on my PC.
My accountant has picked up the ball to see if her company can access my backups however, she's not confident.
I will let you know if I need to take you up on your offer.
Oh, yes, I am in Melbourne.
Thanks again

bogilla
02-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Hi Reuel
My accountant has had no luck. She at least got a new message saying
"Quickbooks has detected that an accountants copy of this data file exists. Please resolve the accountant copy before upgrading"
so at least we're getting a bit of variety :)
I will give you a call & see what we can do about retrieving my data.
Thx again.

reuelt
02-26-2008, 07:56 PM
The error message is not a problem.

You first need to open the file with the correct version of Quickbooks software (7.4?),
then
File, Accountant's Review, and Cancel Accountant's Changes

Then save and upgrade the saved file.