PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from QB 2005

theregos
03-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Hello everyone!

Hope this is posted in the right forum!

We are currently running QB premier 2005, 5 user edition (but the software is only used by one person). We would like to purchase QB Premier 2007, but a 1 user edition...can this be installed without any problems over the 5 user version and still retain all our data?

Joe Williams
03-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes, you can upgrade from QuickBooks 2005 to 2007. The user interface has changed so it looks differant.
Do a backup before installing the 2007 version. After installing and starting QuickBooks 2007, open your company and the program will update it to the new version.

jathieme
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Hello everyone!

Hope this is posted in the right forum!

We are currently running QB premier 2005, 5 user edition (but the software is only used by one person). We would like to purchase QB Premier 2007, but a 1 user edition...can this be installed without any problems over the 5 user version and still retain all our data?

Personally, I would not upgrade from 2005 to 2007. 2007 is a lot slower. It has an updated interface, so it looks nicer. But 2005 is a lot quicker - loads faster, runs faster, shuts down faster.

If you don't need to upgrade for some other reason, I suggest you keep 2005.

I know this isn't what you are asking, but just thought you'd want to know what you are getting into by upgrading.

qbsrox
03-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I would upgrade, especially if you have need for the new features and online capabilities or payroll.

I wouldn't upgrade the data file itself directly. I would do a back-up and restore - and I would install 2007 in it's own directory (as it's not an upgrade any longer, it is the full version). Then restore the file and upgrade it to 07. This way, if something goes wrong, you still have a working data file that you can use with 05.

theregos
03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the replies...the reason we are upgrading is that when we launch QB 05, we get a message 'This version of quick books will expire on March 14th 2007. We recommend you purchase an upgrade version"

So now basically the software is pretty much unusuable until we upgrade...anyone had this before?

jathieme
03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the replies...the reason we are upgrading is that when we launch QB 05, we get a message 'This version of quick books will expire on March 14th 2007. We recommend you purchase an upgrade version"

So now basically the software is pretty much unusuable until we upgrade...anyone had this before?

I have no idea why you are getting that message, because QB 2005 is not scheduled to be sunsetted until spring of 2008, unless Intiut changes its sunset policy.

According to Intuit, QB2004 is scheduled to be sunsetted at the end of May 2007. This means that certain electronic features will no longer be available - it does NOT mean that QB 2004 will become unoperational. In other words, people who do not use online services within QB 2004 can still use the software.

Here's a link to the sunset policy page:

http://www.quickbooks.com/helpcenter/DiscontinuationPlan.aspx

All this to say that I think something is wrong with the "reminders" within your software. I'd call Intuit to see what's going on.

Remember, even after sunset, QB is still operational.

This seems extremely unlikely, and perhaps even impossible, but was your QB2005 ever registered?

theregos
03-27-2007, 07:18 AM
yes, it was registered etc, so don't know what the problem was! Anyway, we have 2007 now and it's working perfect...thanks for the help everyone!

kascomp
04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I have QB Pro 2005 running on xp home edition w/ SP-2. It runs great!

I have read on intuit's site, in clear and definite terms, the various hardware and software reqiurements for QB Pro 2007. One of the statements made by intuit is that Windows XP home edition is not a recommended platform for QB Pro 2007.

Question...how critrical is this? Will trying to use XP home edition with QB Pro 2007 result in a loss of functionality, or is it simply a security issue? I have purchased QB Pro 2007, and after installing 2007, I can't get the program to open or recognize all of my company files. It will open some files, the files it won't open are not corrupt (they run perfectly on QB Pro 2005). I spent a couple of hours on the phone with tech support, I even enabled remote assistance for them, they made many changes but could not resolve any of my problems. Is this simply a software platform issue i.e. XP home edition vs XP Pro edition? Any help from you good folks would be appreciated!

Mary