PDA

View Full Version : Adding lines on a sales order

Millies
12-05-2006, 05:56 PM
In my company we use the "Pick-list" version of a sales order to pull stock. The problem is that pick lists with many line items are difficult to manage because there is no line between each line item. Is there a way to add a line inbetween each item on a sales order? This would be nice for invoices and purchase orders too.

Thanks...
Andy:confused:

lisa_mn
12-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Sure, just tab through a blank line to the 2nd blank line for your next item.

Millies
12-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry...I wasn't really clear...I'd actually like to have a printed line inbetween each item (as opposed to a space). This way I can follow the line over to the quantity. Can I do that?

Thanks

lisa_mn
12-06-2006, 08:27 AM
No sorry - I don't know of any way to do that.

flagship
12-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Technically, it is possible to accomplish what you want but the side-effects may be unacceptable. Anyway, I'll describe the process and hope you'll be guided by a "caveat emptor" perspective on its applicability to your situation.

To get any (actually, every) QuickBooks form where Items are used to print with blank lines between Items, you can add a "carriage return/linefeed" (new line) character sequence to the end of the Description field for each Item.

You can do this in the usual Edit Item window in QuickBooks, by moving to the end of the Description field and pressing the Enter key. Note that this only works if "Pressing Enter moves between fields" is turned OFF in your QuickBooks Preferences (Preferences|General|My Preferences).

Try it on a few Items, then create a new Sales Order using them, and I think you'll see that your Pick List report is printed with intervening blank lines.

The problem of course, is that you will see intervening blank lines on *every* form where Items are used--invoices and all. Having more white space may make your forms more readable, but all of them will require more paper to print.

Good luck!

Mark Wilsdorf
Flagship Technologies, Inc.
QuickBooks™ Add-Ons and Solutions You Can Use
http://www.goflagship.com

flagship
12-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Actually, another approach also comes to mind...

Instead of editing the Items list, you could use a keyboard macro program such as Macro Express (www.macros.com) to add blank lines to the Sales Order itself (by essentially "pressing" the Enter key at the end of each Item Description), before printing the S.O. Here's how:

* Complete the S.O. as you normally would.
* Save it
* Position the cursor in the first Item line's Description column.
* Invoke the keyboard macro you've created for this purpose. Each time you invoke it, it will:
1. Move to the end of the Description
2. "Press" Enter
3. Then "arrow" down to the next line of the S.O.
Repeatedly invoking it will add the blank lines.
* Print the Pick List
* To get rid of the blank lines, Revert the S.O. to the saved version.

Mark Wilsdorf

Deidre56
12-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Flagship - your ideas seem very interesting and I myself will give that a try to see the outcome, but I think Millies is looking for an actual drawn out line under each item and not a space? An underline?

flagship
12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Deidre56,

"drawn out line under each item..."

Well, the keyboard macro approach would be able to accomplish that with slight modification.

For instance, if you want a pick list with, say, 2 blank lines and an underline (a blank for writing number of Items actually pulled for shipping) beneath each Item, you would simply construct the macro to insert 2 blank lines and the desired-length string of "_" characters.

By the way, all the lines of my signature below are a Macro Express macro--I just type a couple keystrokes to get the whole thing inserted wherever I want.

Mark Wilsdorf

Deidre56
12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Excellent! I hope this is something Millies will be able to get to work!

Millies
12-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can't believe there's no setting available to do this. I'm convinced that nobody in Intuit's programming department has every actually used some of the features. Oh well.

Thanks again.

bentheredengtha
02-12-2007, 06:35 PM
:( This is unnacceptable. BTW...is that how you spell unacceptable?

bentheredengtha
02-12-2007, 07:17 PM
I posted this in another thread but it applies here:

I did it!!! I'm ashamed to say I messed with this for 2 hours until I got it right.

I did this on an estimates template, but I'm sure it will work on any other template that uses items. After hours of experimenting, this is the only thing that works, hopefully the appearance is acceptable to you:

First, go to the layout designer. Turn on the grid and set it to 1/16ths.

1. Set all of your columns fonts to Arial 11pt bold. Make sure you set every column that will display in this area to these font settings. The font setting is key to making the line spacing work.
2. Create a text box. Set the font toArial 11pt bold, but don't type any text in it.
3. Resize the text box to 3/16" tall (3 grid lines tall).
4. Resize the width of the text box to the full width of your columns, or wherever you want the lines to display.
5. Drag the text box to the location of the top line where items will display.
6. Now use the copy button to copy that text box. Drag the new text box to 3 grids below the first. Make sure you leave the 3 grid space in between the text boxes, or you'll use more than the allowed 32 text boxes.
7.Keep copying and dragging until the entire area is filled with "lines".

Make sure you test this with enough items to fill up the whole page to see if the lines line up the way they should. It works on my system, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for others.

Good Luck!

lucyplaczek
10-16-2013, 12:27 AM
how do the lines show when you print the pick list? when I print the lines are dotted... any chance you can help?