PDA

View Full Version : W2 forms - blank paper

wao
08-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I was considering printing my 2005 W2 forms on blank perforated paper. I used preprinted forms in 2004.

After reading the instructions in QBs, I am leaning towards continuing to use the preprinted forms.

PER THE INSTRUCTIONS IN QUICKBOOKS (for plain perforated paper printing):

You'll need to insert:
2 sheets of plain, unperforated pages for the instructions.
3 sheets (9 forms) of 3-up blank perforated paper for each employee - 6 sheets for two employees, etc.
1 page unperforated paper for the W-2 federal copy A.

(And I really don't need the first 2 sheets so that is a waste of paper.)

It's my understanding that you cannot skip the instructions, which is no big deal, but you can't print just the W2 forms on the perforated paper and then go back and print just the copy A W2 forms on UNperforated paper for the SSA.

MY CONCERN IS NOT ONLY THE TIME REQUIRED TO ASSEMBLE THE ABOVE PACKAGE, BUT THE USUAL PRINTER PROBLEMS OF:

Two pages accidentally pulled instead of just one page which will throw the entire process off by one sheet.

Jamming - which again will cause problems trying to figure out what sheets need to be reprinted.

Does anyone else have any opinions regarding the pros and cons of using perforated paper vs. pre-printed pages?
Perhaps I'm over analyzing this and it's not as difficult as is sounds?

I will be printing quite a few W2s for 2005 for my various clients.

I have QB version 2005.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Johnn
08-23-2005, 07:41 AM
WAO

It is not necessary to use perforated paper. Plain paper is all that is required and that is what I use without problems from employees or the IRS.

John

wao
08-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your reply.

When I got to the page to order W2 forms from Intuit, they have a statement that says:

IMPORTANT! The IRS requires use of perforated paper for any Employee W-2 copy that is printed on plain paper*

*Does not constitute tax or legal advice. Users should consult their own professional advisors for current regulations and recommendations specific to their situation.

But I'm leaning towards NOT using perforated paper. I know the SSA administration doesn't want it on perforated paper. And the only one getting the perforated paper would be the employee.

I think the more important point is that the employee get the instructions.

Thanks again for replying!

Joey
08-23-2005, 11:42 AM
It's correct that the IRS instructions do say that they should be printed on perforated paper but I do tax returns for a living and receive the W-2 forms for many many persons that were printed on non-perforated paper that didn't cause any problems. I just drag out my trusty scissors and cut them apart.
I've personally never heard of the IRS going after anyone for using non-perforated paper. I'm sure they have better things to do than that. I would be more concerned that the numbers on them are correct instead of whether the paper is perforated.

suzannemead
08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Joey - I'm going to send you a nice little paper cutter for your birthday so I don't have to picture you cutting thousands of W-2's apart with scissors. You deserve better.

Joey
08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
It's so nice to be appreciated. :D