View Full Version : Employee Travel Advances & Expenses

05-24-2005, 10:14 AM
According to QB to record a travel advance I need to set up an Employee Advance account [other current asset] with a sub account for each employee receiving an advance.

Then I need to issue the check at the Write Checks screen charging the check to the specific Employee Advance account.

When the employee gives me an expense report I charge each expense with an offsetting entry to his/her Employee Advance account. My question is: where do I record the expenses with offsetting entry to the employee's advance account. Is it under Write Checks or somewhere else? Thanks.

05-24-2005, 10:57 AM
You can make the entry right into the register of the Employee Advance account or sub-account if for a specific employee. It would be a debit to the various expenses and a credit to the Advance account.

05-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Using the registers for these kinds of entries is very confusing. It's easier to use the Make Journal Entry screen and Debit the various expense accounts for the individual expenses and Credit the Employee Advances account for the total. That way, each JE matches a specific dated expense report for that employee.
If you just make individual entries in the Employee Advance Register, it would be very hard to track later on.

05-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks, Suzanne and Joey. You guys are worth your weight in gold.

05-24-2005, 01:18 PM
If someone would just send us our weight in gold we could retire. Anyway, you're welcome.

05-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Isn't that the truth!