PDA

View Full Version : Show Last Payment on Invoice

chadbengen
05-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I am looking for a way (or plugin) to include three things on my invoices:

1. The date of the last payment recieved.
2. The amount of the last payment recieved.
3. The total amount past due (based on the due dates of invoices). for instance, if the new invoice going out is due 10 days from now and is totaled at $100, and they have another invoice that is past due for $50, the field would show they have a past due amount of $50.

Does anyone have a plug in that does any or all of these requests or is there a way of doing it that I'm unaware of?

thanks.

tallman
05-02-2005, 07:27 AM
In 2005 you can customize the imvoice to show the customer's open balance at the bottom of the invocie. This is as of the invoice date, not due date.

Joey
05-02-2005, 10:16 AM
All of the things you are looking for are already on the customer's Statement instead of the Invoice. Try running the Statement instead. The Invoice shows the individual sales, the Statement shows the customer's whole account activity.

chadbengen
05-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I am considering using the Open Balance feature (we have QB 2004 pro), however I'm afriad that might be confusing for some people. We are a caregiver agency and bill our clients weekly. So if a client recieves the bill and pays it on Sat they might get the new invoice before we can process that payment. Then when they get the new invoice they'd see this open balance which includes an amount they have already paid, thus leading to confusion.

Ideally, what I'd like to have is a field that displays what is OVERDUE, either user defined or based on the terms, or similar to the statements reports that shows >30, >90, etc. My desire is to capture those that are two or more weeks overdue, not those that are just one week overdue.

The problem with statements is that we need it to be on the invoice. My guess is that I'll need a plug in and I'm hoping someone has developed one already that we can purchase (freeware maybe?).

If someone has a suggestion that can help me out please post it so that I can follow up. Thanks!

Kendor
05-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Accountants are typically wedded to keeping invoices and statements separate despite the fact that just about everyone else would like them combined to a greater or lesser extent. QB follows the accountants' approach. It even adds its own twist, as you may have seen from another post, namely that if you print batches of invoices and statements it prints them in different orders making matching them up a nightmare.

If you find something, please post a message as I'm sure many participants in addition to myself would be delighted to have such a facility.

It's interesting that QB have at last made provision for the invoice to show the customer's open balance. Years ago I was involved on the periphery of the development of a new accounting package for lawyers in this country (South Africa) and I put up a valiant fight for what you want but what QB has now done was as much as I could get included in the package. It is of course not enough because the customer does not know how up to date your posting of entries is and therefore what is included in and excluded from the open balance.

A piece of off topic but possibly interesting trivia: The bright spark developers concerned managed to develop the entire package at great expense and commence marketing it without realising that they had omitted a field for clients' names! Perhaps not surprisingly, they sold a total of seven copies and were not heard of again.

Ken

chadbengen
05-02-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm amazed how such a simple request seems so difficult to add. You'd think that Intuit would have a little more customization with those fields. (Although I will give Intuit credit for what they have created...Not being an accountant, aside from it's shortcomings from supporting those of us beyond 250 employees, it does seem to have several features that we have yet to tap into)

What I'm looking for is something like the bill you get from the phone company where they show your previous balance, last payment date and amount and the amount still owing on that previous balance. Not to mention the current balance and then adding up the total amount still owing.

The phone company bill may be more of a statement, but then add that feature to the statements in quickbooks.

In any event, if I run across something I will surely post it here. If there are any developers out there make one for us. Sounds like several users would pay for someting like this and at, what, a $100 or so per sale?... that might add up quickly.

Joey
05-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Did you even look in the Help Index at using Statement Charges instead of Invoices? I believe that is what you are trying to do. I may be wrong but it sounds like what you are looking for. If not, then I'll shut up and go back to sleep.

Kendor
05-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Are Statement Charges something introduced in recent editions of QB? I don't have such an entry in online Help in QB 2003 Pro UK.

Ken

chadbengen
05-03-2005, 07:45 PM
The problem with statements, as I have found, are:

1. The detail information is not as complete nor as clear as the invoice detail. We use a 3rd party program that imports and creates our invoices (200+ per week) for our clients. The description it imports does not show up on the statements (it cuts off the second half of the description).

2. I didn't see a way to print statements for ONLY those that recieve invoices in a specific week. Some clients may not have an invoice one week, but wil lthe next. I would not want to send out statements to people where we did not have an invoice and are not past due. (I saw the check box for inactivity and it didnt work how I expected.)

3. I was ideally looking for a field box that said what the last payment was, not every payment.

Ill look again at the statements and double check it to see if I overlooked some features, but what i've seen so far is that it lacks some options to identify who to print statements for and to tie in to the invoices.

Thanks for the suggestion tho and I'll post again if i find that statements work.